Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,701   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Greetings from New Mexico

Hello all.

My name is Allen. I’ve been lurking for a few months and thought that it was about time to surface. Hats off to everyone for making this such a great resource!

I primarily make use of LF and B&W. I would like to start making pt/pd prints again, and APUG seems to be an excellent place to get back up to speed. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks.

I am new to the Albuquerque area, so if there are any APUGers here, give me a shout.

Allen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Allen. Welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Allen, from one who lives in Pennsylvania but loves New Mexico. (I attended NMSU back in the late '70s, and got to spend lots of weekends in the Albuquerque, Española, and Santa Fe areas.) If only I'd been into LF back then!

APUG's a great place to learn...I've learned more here than all of the other photo sites combined.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hello from Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by AllenR
    I primarily make use of LF and B&W.
    I am new to the Albuquerque area, so if there are any APUGers here, give me a shout.
    Greetings from Albuquerque, Allen! Where did you move here from?
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Jacob,

I came to the Albuquerque area from South Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact. The landscape here is much more to my liking.

When you get some time, we need to discuss the local photographic community.

Allen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Allen from Hawaii. I've been to Albuquerque a few times, I found it to be a nice area. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome Allen. I am in Santa Fe and can honestly say the photo "scene" is much more active up here then in ABQ. I lived down there for about 3 years and I am happier up here. At least somewhat happier.

Anyway, welcome to the group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I am in Santa Fe and can honestly say the photo "scene" is much more active up here then in ABQ.
    I agree with David. Santa Fe has a very active art community. There isn't that much going on in Albuquerque, though. We do have the Enchanted Lens Camera Club (http://www.swcp.com/camera). One of the people I've talked to from the group says that many of the members are going digital. Also, you might stop into Camera & Darkroom or Kurt's (both are pro shops on Central Ave, close to UNM). If you're looking to do any business in the artistic photo scene, take the short drive to Santa Fe.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to one of the club meetings once. I was much too young for the group.

As for the camera shops, I use them for emergency purchases only. They both charge retail and often do not have what I am looking for. Also, the last straw was when I asked for Tri-X and the salesperson asked what Tri-X was.

Now, I just order from Calumet, Freestyle or Adorama.

Images
    Camera and darkroom was much better when they were in their old digs. The new place and the new workers are not nearly as friendly. I have no idea what the guy's name is but the gent with one arm is way knowledgeable and lots of help. I talk to him and no one else when i get to camera and darkroom. He definately knows what Tri-X is. I never liked Kurt's. Too Snobby.

Welcome from 3.5 hours west.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin