Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,384   Online: 696

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hello from Omaha!

I guess this isn't a proper introduction, since I already posted one in the "Darkroom Equipment" forum...

But anyway, hello everyone at APUG! You have already been incredibly helpful with my enlarger questions. Thanks to you, I have a lovely Beseler enlarger sitting in my basement, and my first batch of chemicals is on the way from Adorama at this very moment.

I shot digital for a long time...and will continue to do so where I need to (mainly product shots for my company)...but I have totally fallen for my Mamiya RB67. I bought it a few months ago on a lark. Now I find myself with a big stack of film in the cabinet and a constant desire to get out there and shoot. The results are just amazing. So far, the only "good" shots I've taken were on Portra 160, and there is a look to them that is just indescribably cool. I've gotten pretty good with PS over the years, but I have a hard time thinking one could easily replicate that look. (Nik ColorEfx? Forget it.)

The other thing I noticed is that my Nikon gear seems like a pile of cheap plastic toys compared to the Mamiya gear. Even my DC105 f/2, which is about as heavy duty of a lens as Nikon makes, pales in comparison.

So here I am, about to start B&W developing and enlarging, and loving my MF camera.

Greetings!

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    130 views and no responses, .

Well, I am no ambassador for APUG, but your sincerity and interest seems beyond reproach. I hope you can maintain a sense of propriety and balance I find missing among so many members of late, as you navigate this forum's "uncertain" personalities. MF (M7II) is my favorite format also, though I mostly work with LF these days.

Since my roots run deep in Omaha, I will make mention of the fact that my paternal grandfather was a very prominent photographer there in the early 20th century, having worked with the newspapers, the U.S. Army Signal Corps during WWI, the Panama Canal construction, and most famously as the photographer of the first 5¢ U.S. air mail stamp (a composite work presaging PS). His work and some of his negatives are available at the Nebraska State Historical Society in Lincoln, and the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. At some point I hope to centralize resources devoted to him as part of an umbrella site to my own.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Doesn't Rockport Camera still sell some roll film, and chemicals?

Kent in Sioux Falls

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to see you're liking MF. Don't worry, hanging out here will encourage you to move to LF, too. Welcome to APUG and enjoy the darkroom! And holler if you need help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, from the south-west corner of Canada.

Hope you enjoy yourself here.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Doesn't Rockport Camera still sell some roll film, and chemicals?
    Its Rockbrook, and yes, they do. Great bunch of folks there. The owner is an RZ aficionado, and helped me out a bit when I first got my RB.

They do C-41 processing on site. 48 hour turn-around and a roll of 120, with scans, runs about $10. Not too bad. I think they send out their B&W, so that takes a week. Accordingly, I'm setting up to process my own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Since my roots run deep in Omaha, I will make mention of the fact that my paternal grandfather was a very prominent photographer there in the early 20th century, having worked with the newspapers, the U.S. Army Signal Corps during WWI, the Panama Canal construction, and most famously as the photographer of the first 5¢ U.S. air mail stamp (a composite work presaging PS). His work and some of his negatives are available at the Nebraska State Historical Society in Lincoln, and the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. At some point I hope to centralize resources devoted to him as part of an umbrella site to my own.
    That's a cool history, right there. Do you know what newspapers he shot for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Omaha,

Welcome from southwestern Illinois.

Konical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin