Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,190   Online: 1104

Shooter
    Multi Format

Coming out of the lurking closet

All Hail,

I recently re-found APUG after “losing” it just after a house move just over a year ago, and a return to rather slow dial-up on a borrowed computer. This past year has been the first in many that I have not had access to my own darkroom at home… but plans and negotiations with She Who Must Be Obeyed for about a quarter of the basement area are now afoot!

I am semi-retired, living in LA (Lethbridge, Alberta that is), after some 30 years as a technical/scientific and biological photographer in the employ of the Government of Canada. I am working slowly towards an Art degree, on a part-time basis, to help prevent mental and physical stagnation. I plan on submitting a significant portion of my studio coursework either in non-silver photographic processes, or as contact prints on FB silver gelatin.

I use 35mm (now and again) 120 with an RB67, 4x5 with Linhof Bi-Kardan, 8x10 with a re-furbished Burke and James. Instant gratification is now achieved with [insert loud GASP here]… a Nikon Coolpix 990.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Ken. Welcome to APUG.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS
    All Hail,

Instant gratification is now achieved with [insert loud GASP here]… a Nikon Coolpix 990.

Ken
    Welcome.

There is a support group that will get you over this digital mistake. I hear the withdrawls are rough but in the end you will feel much better being rid of this pixel albatross.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome (back) Ken!
    Remember, you only have control over today. (Where was that thing about "chimping"???) Film is good....film is good!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I confess to owning a digitoy - a Coolpix 880. But for "instant gratification", I have a polaroid holder for my 4x5"!

I once for a bet set up my 4x5" (Linhof Color), pola holder, made a shot out the window on Type 55, cleaned and dried the neg, printed a cyanotype, and had it washed, dried, scanned and posted all in less than 20 minutes. The "other party" was still tweaking the curves on the raw file from his super-duper digi-SLR
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome (back), Ken. I'd bet that quite a few folks here have one or more of those (unmentionable) cameras. For real instant gratification, there's nothing quite like an 8x10 Polaroid, though.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome - back - Ken. Instant gratification is enjoying the whole process of photography, not just the final image. But I am sure that you already know that, ortherwise you wouldn't be here.
    Looking forward to viewing some of that work you plan on submitting.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin