Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,193   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I skimmed the other responses and didn't see this so my apologies of someone mentioned it, but I think it depends a lot whether we are talking about black and white or color. Color transparency is already in its death throes. Print film will last a lot longer but the selections are already down to a few, albeit wonderfully excellent, emulsions. I'd be worried about it too eventually.

Black and white is so much easier to manufacture in small lots that I am unconcerned. Besides Ilford, whom Simon called "robustly profitable" there are also small companies like Afox and Foma making good products. No worries about B&W IMHO.
    I too skimmed the above statements and agree with this post, exactly.

I do not believe film color photography will last very long. Anyone who believes so is very optimisitc IMO.

Black and white emulsions on the other hand will last a very long time. Maybe not YOUR favorite film but film will still be available.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    IF all film production ceased overnight, we still have the option of rolling back the clock and pouring our own plates. This however, is very much dependent on the availability of the raw chemicals - The way things are going, even the purchase of sodium chloride might become restricted to a few licensed individuals at some point in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    IF all film production ceased overnight, we still have the option of rolling back the clock and pouring our own plates. This however, is very much dependent on the availability of the raw chemicals - The way things are going, even the purchase of sodium chloride might become restricted to a few licensed individuals at some point in the future.
    Not to mention dihydrogen monoxide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll be long dead when film is dead! Don't worry about it. BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Who has ever produced a digital masterpiece ?
    My doctor when doing a digital exam on my prostrate, but that is a story for another time and another place.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    My doctor when doing a digital exam on my prostrate, but that is a story for another time and another place.

LOL!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thank you

Thanks so much for all of the replies. Nice to see so many passionate analogers online. Mark, your post was very well said. Also, I did not realize there were so many smaller companies/projects underway to keep film production going.

So many comments here that said stay in the moment...good advice, the exact reason I love film.

Thank you,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't share the view that we will have long-term availability of film; the reality is that it is a secondary and shrinking market under no pressure whatsoever to keep going at the behest of so few. I take the view people should have began skilling up with the alternative (digital) method of photography so they have something to fall back on. It is not the industry's fault that so many will be left with so little to nothing within 10 years. Excellent results are achievable with the alternative method even if film, for all its worth and beauty, will face an ever-tightening noose. You might want to reflect on the loss of a number of films in the last two years, and the likelihood of Fujifilm, dealing with the colour market, discontinuing two more emulsions this year.

It is not the fault of the camera (analog or digital) that the photographer cannot recreate a scene to his satisfaction. It is the fault of the photographer not going equipped with the knowledge of how things are done. It is the height if ignorance for any person here to suggest that digital is obsolete the moment you such a camera. Says who, and on what grounds? People I know here on APUG are producing work on 10 year old digital cameras and that work is beautiful. There is skill involved in it. So too, there is still involved with analog. Says who that they need a camera costing $4,000? And why? True, there is a captive market out there of gear freaks who must have every single pixel to peep at— it is ridiculous: leave them to their misery. It is absolutely unnecessary; one camera for as long as you want it, same as analogue: you don't buy a $6,000 Nikon every 6 months, so where is the argument that the same should apply to digital, supposedly "because it is still evolving"? That's bullshit. Is somebody here going to tell me that RGB screens, profiles, colourimetrics, RIPs... "are still evolving"?

I would like to see film continue for a long time. But you can whistle Dixie until the cows come home that we are going to be hit again with progressive discontinuations until there is too little left to sustain a miniscule market, unless of course you want to step back 140 years and roll your own plates and chemistry. While we have two options at our disposal, both should be used. As I said, it is not the fault of which medium you use, but the fault of the photographer.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 07-21-2013 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sort of true Gary - I do most commercial work with digital and have done for about 5 years now - my old Canon 5D is no longer supported by Canon's own capture software, which makes it irritating to use, so that's a forced upgrade for productivity reasons alone. Canon also doesn't support the software for my EOS1v either, but that was a gimmick thing anyway, and doesn't stop the camera being as useful as it ever was...

One other point is that, I routinely post large albums of personal 5x4" work on Facebook, and this generates me a lot of commercial work in unrelated photographic fields - it's like the 'awesomeness' of the large format inspires 'confidence' in my ability to generate good work in that other format :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting circumstances Marc.
    I could never see a valid use for having the 1V tethered to a computer. Gimmicky would be the appropriate description of it, I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin