Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,649   Online: 986

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I set up for a batch of product shots for our web site, I always tether my D7000. Makes it easy to tear off 40 or 50 shots in quick order.

Marc's comment about obsolete/unsupported software gets to the real fragility of digital: It depends on a much 'deeper' slice of our existing industrial/technological infrastructure. Trivial things like memory cards...will they be available in the required format in 20 or 30 years? Assuming you can capture an image, what can you do with it? Will PP tools 50 years hence work with RAW formats from today's Canikon cameras? Etc, etc, etc. Digital sits atop an enormous collection of accumulated technology.

Of course, analog has the same issues, if to a lesser extent. The declining variety of commercially available films demonstrates that.

None the less, my 15 yo daughter has taken an interest in my 32 yo K1000, which still works perfectly. I have no such expectation of my D7000 32 years from now.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't share the view that we will have long-term availability of film; the reality is that it is a secondary and shrinking market under no pressure whatsoever to keep going at the behest of so few. I take the view people should have began skilling up with the alternative (digital) method of photography so they have something to fall back on.
    No thanks. If film ever entirely disappears in my lifetime (which it won't), I'm done.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, you can fret about it and fill a freezer with film like I did back in 2005/6. Now, I have a freezer full of film and can still pretty much buy anything I want - although I am not an E6 user. (And I do feel bad for those who love E6)

Keep calm and keep shooting.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The world of photography goes further than just what you see in the leading economies of Europe, North America and Asia.

Of the billions in tomorrow's population only a tiny minority will be needed to maintain the viability of film.

Even today, medium and larger format film is much more economical than digital, so it is not likely to be displaced in our lifetime.

This may be easy for me to say at seventy, but I am confident it will be around for my grandchildren to enjoy if they are inclined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you to RTC and Cliveh, for your much appreciated kind words.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-22-2013 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the OP, you should be worried enough about it that you completely immerse yourself in it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Film availability, process and scan quality is dropped far below of the level than cheap digital cameras. I am buying film from a man where his store is extremelly hot. Films are dusty , close to their end of life and results are horrible. Whatever camera you use , Leica , Zeiss Ikon , XA , results are terrible. Buying film from internet is cheap but post charges change from 25 dollars to 60 dollars. 5 dollar for film , 25 dollars for postage. I will not take photographs for long time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin