Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,045   Online: 891

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from The Netherlands

Hello APUG'ers,

A recently rekindled love for photography and film led me to this forum and although I probably won't be posting much I thought I'd take a moment to say hi.
    I first started shooting film for fun with my father's Pentax P50, without knowing anything. I just shot a roll or two and put the camera back in the attic. It remained there for a good couple of years. The last two years I have been back at shooting film and investigating the different types of film. Still I don't shoot film very often, since it is expensive for a student to do so. However seeing your neg's come out the way you intended is something very satisfying, so I try to shoot film as often as I can (I also own a heretical dslr). At the moment my collection is as follows:

• The aforementioned Pentax P50 with a Chinon 50mm f/1.7 and a Pallas 28mm f/2.8 (there's also a 70-200 zoom somewhere, but I don't use it).
    • Minolta Hi-Matic GF aka "The Pubcam"
    • Brownie Six-20 Model C

Then my girlfriend owns an Ensign Ful-Vue (her grandfather's). This and the Brownie introduced me into MF. The neg's look amazing, but what they have in character they lack in most other areas such as sharpness. Therefore I'd love to get a nice 6x6 (or 6x7) set once.

Regards,

Nick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Nick,

Welcome to APUG. Slide films - positive resulted films - are little bit more expensive to invest and develop but you will be amazed when you see the films in your hand. Ensign is one excellent camera and you dont need a expensive , heavy modern japanese camera to invest. All imposrant thing is how to compose and expose and develop. You can develop bw films in to positive with basic home development also. It is fun to avaluate and scan also.

You got the taste of quality of older lenses and true , there is no equivalent of these lenses today.

You can invest 15 Euro or more in to zeiss ikon folders and if your film fresh , if developer fresh and lab guy or you know what ever is going on , they are matchless cameras and 1/5 the weight of mamiya or bronica but better lenses if you invest in carl zeiss tessar lens.

All you need is a light meter preferably a spot light meter and may be a tripod and hand release.

Collecting these British , american , german cameras are any photographers dream.

Good luck,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Nick and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the welcome!

I recently tried Ektar 100 and I am liking it. In the fridge I also have PanF+. Slide film I have yet to try. The local Calumet has some Velvia in stock, so I might try it sooner or later. When time and money permit I will also try to find a local darkroom course.

Regarding MF cameras: I really like the hass/SQ/RB concept, much more than the folder (which is at this point also out of reach). So most likely I will just try to save up money for that. =)

Looking forward to participating a bit more in the community!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug. You seem to be off to a good start. Maybe, if cost is an issue, you should stay with B/W for the time being and get some experience.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Nick.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Welcome to apug. You seem to be off to a good start. Maybe, if cost is an issue, you should stay with B/W for the time being and get some experience.
    Good luck.
    Why stay with BW? I won't be processing my own film anytime soon (despite the plans for taking a darkroom course). If anything, having BW processed by a lab is more expensive than colour?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Nick and welcome to APUG!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallo Nick en welkom hier op APUG!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin