Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,322   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi from New York

I've been shooting for about a year digitally, 9 months analog. I plan on going to college for photography (I'm currently a senior in high school) and since I don't have a photo class in real life right now I decided I should have at least some community to discuss photography with. I use a Nikon f2 mostly, but I also have a yashica-mat, a Soviet rf and a few toy cameras. I want to try large format someday, but for now 35mm and 120 work fine. I mostly use b/w and home develop but I don't have room for an enlarger setup in my cramped house so I usually just scan and archive my negatives. I shoot street a lot, it's more accessible for me than most other types of photography and NYC is a constant source of great subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, someone that's actually younger than me on the forum. Welcome! I'm almost 20 years old. In the process of finishing my last college class. I think you should at least consider some photography electives if you get the chance. Black and White 35mm Photography is probably the most beneficial class I ever took. What kind of toy cameras do you use? As for me, a member of a Flickr group was kind enough to give me a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye with a flipped lens.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cordeliat View Post
    I've been shooting for about a year digitally, 9 months analog. I plan on going to college for photography (I'm currently a senior in high school) and since I don't have a photo class in real life right now I decided I should have at least some community to discuss photography with. I use a Nikon f2 mostly, but I also have a yashica-mat, a Soviet rf and a few toy cameras. I want to try large format someday, but for now 35mm and 120 work fine. I mostly use b/w and home develop but I don't have room for an enlarger setup in my cramped house so I usually just scan and archive my negatives. I shoot street a lot, it's more accessible for me than most other types of photography and NYC is a constant source of great subjects.

Nice to meet you...I was born and raised in NYC myself (22 year old recent BFA graduate)...best thing to do is just shoot shoot shoot. There's nothing wrong with scanning your negatives (regardless of what anyone else may say) and it will teach you to have an eye not only for a good negative, but also how to handle a file in the digital workspace effectively. Also (you probably know this already being an NYC kid) go to museums constantly, it will serve you well.

Do you have a tumblr or anything like that?

Best,
    Chris
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love reading such enthusiastic introductions.

Welcome to APUG. Good to have you here.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG . You are in a good direction, and in a good place. I suggest you to start making contact copies of your negatives: you don't need enlarger - it is fun, you will have some prints in your hands. When holding print (contact copy) in your hands - satisfaction will be even greater, trust me

regards,

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mostly use b/w and home develop but I don't have room for an enlarger setup in my cramped house so I usually just scan and archive my negatives.
    You might consider using your bathroom as provisional darkroom. In case you have a bathtub you might install a board above it and set up enlarger and trays there.

You might also consider a cabinet darkroom.

Or a tent construction. There is a dedicated tent from Nova but also several for weed growing (though with highly reflective lining):
    http://www.google.de/search?q=nova+d...&bih=624&dpr=1
    Last edited by AgX; 09-12-2013 at 03:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As a fellow New Yorker..welcome to APUG! Keep on shooting and have fun. No shortage of inspiration in NY.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG a great site to share your photography.
    Vincent Brady
    "Visual art is a chase after the invisable and B&W photos remind you of this search for what can't be seen,for what's missing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug.
    Maybe someone here can point you in the direction of a darkroom close to you.
    Good luck and congratulations on a fine start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin