Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,726   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to get a little street smarts when dealing with strangers. Of course, an experience like you just had is a great motivator. The internet makes is easier for these types to find a victim.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder what stops this person re-registering under a new name here on APUG and doing the same again or indeed doing the same on e-bay?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I wonder what stops this person re-registering under a new name here on APUG and doing the same again or indeed doing the same on e-bay?

pentaxuser
    Their honesty.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We have ways of preventing reregistrations, but nothing is foolproof. With any kind of private sale, you have to be careful and use common sense to minimize risk. If someone has no real history on APUG and contacts you via PM, lives in a country where it would be hard to pursue fraud, and asks for payment in a form that offers no protection, these are all bad signs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Red flags were there, I chose to ignore them. Once in a while we all take a foolish risk, and (hopefully) learn from them. I'm just here to warn others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An other reason why I ONLY use Paypal for almost every $$ exchange. Before they release funds is when the buyer is happy with the transaction. Yes it can be a real pain for selling as I always use "signature required" for out of country shipping. Lost an EOS 1N camera because of not doing this. Hope the buyer enjoys the camera he "stole" from me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roadster55 View Post
    Red flags were there, I chose to ignore them. Once in a while we all take a foolish risk, and (hopefully) learn from them. I'm just here to warn others.
    I understand, and thanks for warning to others. Don't feel bad - this is life, it will turn around, maybe tomorrow someone will give you some nice camera for free, or you will get some avesome flea market find .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    An other reason why I ONLY use Paypal for almost every $$ exchange. Before they release funds is when the buyer is happy with the transaction. Yes it can be a real pain for selling as I always use "signature required" for out of country shipping. Lost an EOS 1N camera because of not doing this. Hope the buyer enjoys the camera he "stole" from me.
    Paypal protection is a joke. PM if you want some detail.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Anybody who has a series of numbers after an e-mail name is a spammer or scammer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Paypal protection is a joke. PM if you want some detail.
    I did not say they were great I meant they are really the best option going. That is why I use the signature option for Canada Post. To prove to Paypal that I sent the package & I have evidence that it was received. Helped me out on my last transaction that I sent back a unusable Canon A1. The buyer did everything he could to prevent it but I had the evidence that he indeed received it. Photographs of the package being re-wrapped as well but they did not require that but I had my bases covered. Also do NOT use Paypal shipping as they are NOT covered by Canada Post insurance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin