Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,384   Online: 760

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One way of testing the sincerity of a seller is to try to meet in person and see what happens. "So you live in Hanoi, how convenient. I will be going there in three week's time and I can come by your place and finish the deal". If they start making excuses as to why they cannot meet you their intentions are quite clear.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Anybody who has a series of numbers after an e-mail name is a spammer or scammer.
    Does that also include profile names, like - let's say - Tom1957 ??
    But seriously, you can't make this statement in general. I know a lot of good people using numbers in their email names - like year of birth - encouraged to do so by providers.

But if the email address is: 12H34987dnb23n234nn@youdontknowme.com, then get worried ....

(whoever can deceiver this code, wins a nice expired plastic TLR single use camera)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody who has a series of numbers after an e-mail name is a spammer or scammer.
    Um, I have numbers after my email name, and I'm the most honest person you'd ever meet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I meant e-mail names where the scammer signed up fo an e-mail accound under some common name and yahoo or g-mail attached a lot of numbers to it because 12000 other people used the same name. You can usually tell just to look at it that it is a scam account. Not always, but much of the time. As far as Tom1956, that should be obvious--I'm 1956 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I meant e-mail names where the scammer signed up fo an e-mail accound under some common name and yahoo or g-mail attached a lot of numbers to it because 12000 other people used the same name. You can usually tell just to look at it that it is a scam account. Not always, but much of the time. As far as Tom1956, that should be obvious--I'm 1956 years old.
    Tom:

As far as I am aware, those email names aren't assigned by the email provider - they are chosen by the customer.

Generally, because it can be hard to find an email or website name if you want to include something fairly common.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Tom:

As far as I am aware, those email names aren't assigned by the email provider - they are chosen by the customer.

Generally, because it can be hard to find an email or website name if you want to include something fairly common.
    Well I guess that means I am no better at trying to figure out who the spamscammers are than anybody else. They've essentially rendered the internet useless for the rest of us. Spammer and scammers make a very good argument for the cause of justifiable..... (better not say that).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin