Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

New member from sunny California!

Hey everyone!

After 2+ years of lurking, I have finally saddled up, purchased a membership and posting my first post ever on APUG. 4 months ago I finally made the jump, sold my 5D, all my digital gear - and I'm now shooting with a Mamiya 7ii + Fuji G617, although I am wishing for something a little more portable these days...

This forum has been a wealth of information and I feel like I am just scratching the surface of pure photography. I'm really excited to continue learning the history, techniques, conceptual and philosophical aspects of this world. Being a young 28 years old I feel, I'm excited to learn so please, feel free to recommend books, artists, techniques, anything!

You can check out most of my older work which is a cross between digital/film at www.joebusy.com - but I plan on taking down the site in a few months and putting up all new projects / film based experiments and such.

Thank you all for the wealth of info and I could not be more excited to start uploading to the gallery and learning all the other perks of being a subscriber! Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, from another part of sunny LA.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 11-15-2013 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: weather correction - not overcast... sun came out

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome and is California really as good as people say it is, re climate?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Year 'round golden light - winters feel like month long fall temps - zero humidity, an hour n half drive to snow/mountains, no bugs! Here's the forecast for my neighborhood for the next 10 days.... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+CA+90293:4:US

I love it here, sweet sweet California!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joebusy View Post
    Year 'round golden light - winters feel like month long fall temps - zero humidity, an hour n half drive to snow/mountains, no bugs! Here's the forecast for my neighborhood for the next 10 days.... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+CA+90293:4:US

I love it here, sweet sweet California!
    When can I move in?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out here 75 or so miles east of L.A., it's not sunny today! It's overcast and 60F. However, yesterday it was 91F and gorgeously clear.

The thing about California's climate is that it depends on where you are. In summer here locally, I can go from 120 degrees in the desert to 80 degrees in the mountains in a half an hour. And Death Valley might be close to 130 degrees at the same time that in Eureka way up north, it's 55 degrees and foggy, and in Redding 80 air miles to the east of Eureka it's 115. Having lived in many different parts of my native state, I can say that there are as many different climates as there topographies. And there are lots of topographies. Even the desert varies a lot. In winter, the low desert very rarely has any frost, while snow and temperatures well below freezing are common in the high desert.
    Where I live now, we have four seasons- warm, hot, warm, and cool.

Oh, and welcome, joebusy!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Out here 75 or so miles east of L.A., it's not sunny today! It's overcast and 60F. However, yesterday it was 91F and gorgeously clear.

The thing about California's climate is that it depends on where you are. In summer here locally, I can go from 120 degrees in the desert to 80 degrees in the mountains in a half an hour. And Death Valley might be close to 130 degrees at the same time that in Eureka way up north, it's 55 degrees and foggy, and in Redding 80 air miles to the east of Eureka it's 115. Having lived in many different parts of my native state, I can say that there are as many different climates as there topographies. And there are lots of topographies. Even the desert varies a lot. In winter, the low desert very rarely has any frost, while snow and temperatures well below freezing are common in the high desert.
    Where I live now, we have four seasons- warm, hot, warm, and cool.

Oh, and welcome, joebusy!
    VERY true - every area is completely different, hence why I like Los Angeles because of the micro climate we have here. I would love to end up in Nor Cal some day though. Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When can I move in?
    If you're ever in town you have a friend! BTW , love you're alternative process stuff! I just picked up Christopher James's book - trying to decide which process I want to experiment with first. I'm really drawn to gum bichromate x cyanotype - I just need to figure out how to make digital negatives! (QTR?) - such cool stuff though!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joebusy View Post
    If you're ever in town you have a friend! BTW , love you're alternative process stuff! I just picked up Christopher James's book - trying to decide which process I want to experiment with first. I'm really drawn to gum bichromate x cyanotype - I just need to figure out how to make digital negatives! (QTR?) - such cool stuff though!
    Many thanks and if you want to experiment with alternative processes, just get some 10 X 8 ortho film. It's easy. Any problems just send me an email or PM.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When can I move in?
    You are welcome to move in any time you'd like, as far as I'm concerned. When you get here... ignore the signs that say "Welcome to California, now go home."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Joe.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin