Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,687   Online: 714

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

The World Upside Down - Kickstarter Project by Lee Smathers

My name is Lee Smathers. I'm a professor of photography at a university in Daegu, South Korea, originally from the United States. I believe very strongly in analogue film photography and large format. As the "photoevangelist", I need to spread the word. Both of these have changed my work style and have helped me to find a personal vision I struggled to find when I was using digital photography. South Korea is not like China, or some or the other countries that film photography is considered hip. Large format photography is dying very quickly here, if not just twitching. The only available large format is 4x5 - and even that is limited. Photographic enlargement papers have already been reduced to nothing but Ilford. Rodinal is imported by one individual. People just aren't interested. Koreans follow the latest trend. You'll be hard pressed to find a car older than my very own 1996 Kia. It's gotta be the latest, greatest, fastest thing - no matter what it is. Even good old furniture is dumped when a family moves to get the newest style of leather.

I'm in a very important position to make a strong defense for traditional and large format photography. Lately, special attention has been drawn to my work - and I have three magazine interviews lined up for the next few months. About a week ago, my life and work was documented in a 30 min Korean national TV special. http://www.ebs.co.kr/replay/show?pro...ectId=10165925 Here you'll see me photographing the monorail with my 8x10 camera. I have no financial support for this work. These ideas are my own and I made the cold calls to get up in the monorail (currently under construction) to get special permission. I've seen other artists in Korea who have been given thousands of dollars in research money and grants given to them, but the quality (and passion thereof) of the work really is very short of the mark. I'm not qualified for these grants - or perhaps maybe the right person hasn't seen my work yet.

This is why I need help. Crowdfunding will help get me the attention I need. My final goal is to show drum scanned 7x17 color negative extra-large enlargements (think Massimo Vitali). If my project is successful, I plan to have enough work to exhibit by around 2015. However, right now I'm just trying to fund the film order.

7x17 color isn't a very popular format, so I'm going to start the special order if my proposal is funded.

I want to knock the Korean's feet off with a 1903 camera!
    Support can be made here until Dec. 15: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ide-down/posts

Thank you for reading this far!
    Cheers!
    Lee Smathers

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, well, I plunked $50 for ya. Hope you get funded but $20K is a lot of mulla!
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for taking the time out to read up about my project proposal, Wolfeye! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask me! I'll be getting in touch with you soon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, lotta reading there. Just writing here to remind myself to read it all when I get home.

Still, I'm curious, why not just 20x24 and crop? (besides the cost, obviously, but at least B+W film is a bit more readily available)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Lee and welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Wow, lotta reading there. Just writing here to remind myself to read it all when I get home.

Still, I'm curious, why not just 20x24 and crop? (besides the cost, obviously, but at least B+W film is a bit more readily available)
    A 7x17 camera isn't that much larger than 8x10. So it's pretty easy to carry. I'm looking for 8x10 resolving power, but with more of a landscape view. 7x17 uses a lot of lenses that are covered by 11x14 as well. Once you take the next jump to 8x20, the choices are fewer. I guess 4x10 is also an option, but that's closer to 4x5 and 5x7 resolving power.

Thanks for taking the time to read up, Dr Croubie!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you Jeff!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Smathers View Post
    A 7x17 camera isn't that much larger than 8x10. So it's pretty easy to carry. I'm looking for 8x10 resolving power, but with more of a landscape view. 7x17 uses a lot of lenses that are covered by 11x14 as well. Once you take the next jump to 8x20, the choices are fewer. I guess 4x10 is also an option, but that's closer to 4x5 and 5x7 resolving power.

Thanks for taking the time to read up, Dr Croubie!
    Why not get one of those split backs, and shoot an 11x14 with it cut so 5.5x14 (or whatever it is split.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Then I'd have to buy a 11x14 camera, splitting back, and a special order for 11x14 film. I have a 7x17 camera, so I might as well use it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Smathers View Post
    Then I'd have to buy a 11x14 camera, splitting back, and a special order for 11x14 film. I have a 7x17 camera, so I might as well use it.
    Nice, now you'll just have to eat learn some woodworking and build yourself a split back
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin