Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,207   Online: 703

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hi All, new convert to Slides Some Advice needed regarding Scans

I have been experimenting with film for 6 months now I have tried Kodak and Fuji negs and Fuji slide film, after several years with Digital.

After 20 odd rolls of a mix of film both slide and neg over the last 6 months I have come to the conclusion that when I get it right, the light is playing ball with me and the subject is worth the effort then old fashioned slide film just knocks everything else out of the ring.
    Why? I do not know - the colours for a start are amazing the textures and depth to the photos are incredible just the general feel to the photo. This I know is a subjective choice one based upon taste but for me Fuji Slide Film is the way forward for my photography. I could go a little deeper on this point but p'haps another day!

I have just returned from a trip to Morocco {I am UK based} and I spent my time taking a mix of Digital and Slide shots, and that was the final nail for the Digital coffin I just can not re-produce the colours and drama of the Moroccan landscape with digital, the slide film could do it but the digital just can’t - so there we go I am now a convert!

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#232323]But I have a problem I live in Gloucester in the South West of the UK and I am desperate to find someone who can produce high quality scans with the eventual aim of having my photos printed and hanging on the wall behind glass. Some of the shots I have of the Desert deserve a good scan. Most printers or any I can find seem to work from digital files these days so I am stuck regarding getting prints. I do want large prints so quality is an issue. Really I want a proffesional piece of work done on my slides. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#232323]Can anyone advice me? does anyone know who can produce a scan that matches the quality that the slide offers?

And the camera I am using is a NIKON F100 and I also have an APPLE IMAC and I want to combine the two to make great photos - that is my ambition with this project, so scanning is the missing link.
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Thanks

Rich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Keep the slides because if you dump them after you scan them then you are one hard disk crash from losing everything.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG. I love slides too. Get yourself a projector and project 'em now and then. There's not much that can beat a projected slide.

At present the only way to get a non-numeric print from slides is to do an internegative, then print optically from the it. I've not done that before because I've been pretty happy with those numeric prints from slides. And sadly, I'm on the wrong side of the pond to give you any assistance with who might be able to give you a killer scan of your slides. Just make sure you don't toss the slides after you scan them!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Harmon's website is bound to have info on local darkroom's that might be able to assist.

And welcome to APUG.

Harmon (Ilford) darkroom locator
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. Treat yourself to a 35mm projector, you won't be sorry.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slides are much better with a slide projector than scanned and shown on a screen or projected.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another Fuji Slide convert here. I've heard a lot of people say to try Ektar as the negative closest to the Velvia saturation magic, so I shot a few rolls a week ago on holiday, very unimpressed, just flat and boring and the deep blue sky of Velvia was just a cyan mess on Ektar, even with a CPL. It's Velvia all the way for me from now on.
    (disclaimer: I might change my mind one day, I just got an enlarger so I'll try some RA4 before I consign Ektar to the useless bucket, it definitely doesn't scan as well as Velvia that's for sure).

Regarding printing, the only way to get anything on paper with slides is Internegatives or scan+inkjet, I too got here too late to enjoy the glory-days of Cibachrome.
    To tack on my own question to this thread, if I may: when creating internegatives, what to use? I know there used to be special internegative film, is there any still made new? Or should I just use Portra or something? And does the high-saturation of films like Velvia make it through the interneg stage to the paper, or do the colours take on the tones of whatever interneg I use?

For commercial scanning recommendations I can't help you as I'm on the wrong side of a few ponds, I'm sure someone from your neck of the woods will pipe up when it's morning for you guys. Definitely consider getting one of your own scanner if you plan to do a lot, £300 for a V700 starts rapidly making sense if you're paying £10 for a 4x5 scan, plus you get a lot more control and can do it again whenever you want.

But I'll certainly also recommend a projector for the occasional viewing (too bad you can't project permanently or they'll overheat and fade eventually). Another option is an enlarger with a negative carrier, then you can just run the strip through and you don't need to mount them into slide holders for a real projecter.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'll get slapped for asking detailed scanning questions on APUG. We acknowledge its existence (there are images shared here!) but discussion of technology & technique is not permitted.

As for chromes, they are so wonderful because the medium supports a very large display dynamic range, at least 12 stops (Dmax of at least 3.6). This means you have a very high contrast, high saturation and all that good stuff. Now, while it is possible to digitally capture all of the information in a slide, it is currently NOT possible to digitally display that information because there exist no screens and no digital printing technologies (other than print-to-slide!) that has as much dynamic range as the slide. I expect that to change soon wrt dynamic range (16-bit OLED screens are coming, I'm sure of it) but we're not there yet, and we're nowhere near a digital display that can do the same resolution as a good chrome, especially in the larger formats. We probably never will (in my lifetime) get there with reflective prints because we just haven't made any substances black enough.

If you're going to scan and/or make prints (either analogue or hybrid), you might as well shoot C41 (colour neg) because it's more forgiving, more accurate and (properly scanned and processed, or wet-printed) will produce results no worse on-screen or in-print than you get from a chrome. Frequently better, in fact, because you don't lose as much detail to clipping.

However if you can project your chromes, there is no technology yet that can equal that quality. If you're going to bother shooting chromes, buy a projector and use it. Not projecting it means you're completely wasting the capabilities of the film.

If you really want to be addicted, try some medium format slides

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ask your scanning questions on DPUG or one of the other digital friendly forums. The powers that be don't like the digital questions to pollute APUG.

Getting a slide projector is a great idea, but if you want prints from slides these days you will need to scan and print digitally. The best scanners are drum scanners. Look at http://cheapdrumscanning.com, and if you have more questions ask them over on DPUG and I'll try to help you there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Hello and welcome to APUG. Treat yourself to a 35mm projector, you won't be sorry.
    +1

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin