Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,365   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Welcome!

-) Intriguing photos at your site. But how to get that title/control field out of the image area? Sometines it covers the essential part.

-) Do you use film for you cinematic work?

-) What is the respirator mask in your avatar about?

It took me a bit to replicate the problem that you are viewing. It sounds like you are either viewing my site on a mobile device or on a system without the current version of Flash. I've been trying to overcome scaling problems on the mobile version without much success lately, that's still a work in progress. I viewed the site on my secondary system and I immediately saw the problem that you describe. Not only was the image title and description over the actual image but it was formatted incorrectly. I did a quick Flash update and the problem vanished. Give that a shot and see if it clears up for you. If not I definitely want to know! I'm in the process of rebranding myself outside of my company and if people are having problems viewing the site then I need to fix that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as I was not aware of it until then.

Yes, I (still) use film for the majority of my cinematic work. The majority of what I shoot is super-16mm, as I own an Arri SR2 system. For my 35mm work I always rent the camera packages and related gear. Motion picture film could very well be on its last legs, and if that's the case I'm going to ride it until the end. From a professional standpoint I've definitley shot more video than film in my freelance days, which was a big reason why I created my own production company. With the exception of a single shoot, every video project I've ever done would've been better on film. Period. I created my own company so that I could find clients that still cared about visual quality over saving 7% on a budget. I use that number since it's the mean average per shoot that I spend on film stock, processing, and transfer. I'll defintely go into more detail if you want.

The respirator mask is a prop piece I modified/built for my series "Difference Engine". I wanted a salvaged look to it so I tore it apart and rebuilt it with all sorts miscellaneous debris, including a Zeiss filter ring. I tried it on to gauge its comfort level and to see if it was still possible to breathe out of. It became one of those things that a lot of work went into and you can barely notice in the final product.

And to everyone else, thank you for the kind reception!

Now It's Dark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I've looked at your site. If you're an example of who's there, your comment about the cultural and artistic wasteland of southwest Florida seems way too limiting. Your work is very creative and fresh. Congrats and welcome to APUG. PS: I do agree with the last poster about the title field.

I would call myself more of an anomaly than an example. Whenever I've been lucky enough to get a gallery show it's always come with a host of complaints from select portions of the local audience. Which is fine by me, a negative reaction is better than no reaction. But seriously, thank you for the compliment!

See my other post about that problem with my site. If this turns out to be a widespread problem I might have to do another redesign. The images are the sole purpose of the site, it does me no great favor to obscure them.

Now It's Dark

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked it via the Adobe site. And I was told my computer got the current Flash-player version. So it likely is not a plain version issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey cage

good to see you here ..
    there are a handful of people here enjoying movie-stuff
    i used to use a few different bolex-s both regular 8 and 16mm
    until i had to be more careful with my expenses and realized
    that those cameras ate a lot more $$ than my still cameras

your site looks fine to me ( love the movie still look )
    i'm on an ancient mac ( power pc with older versions of stuff since i was orphaned
    by apple a handful of years ago )

looking forward to seeing you in the sunday papers ..

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    . I created my own company so that I could find clients that still cared about visual quality over saving 7% on a budget. I use that number since it's the mean average per shoot that I spend on film stock, processing, and transfer. I'll defintely go into more detail if you want.
    Beside the aesthetics, it's always good business to find a niche where you're not just another commodity competing with a thousand other guys. I think that's especially true today in photography in general. Wedding photogs who provide a film BW service distinguish themselves even if the happy couple isn't interested. The niche either has to be in the product or who and how you sell too or both especially today as the competition is quite brutal listening to all the pros here and elsewhere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I just checked it via the Adobe site. And I was told my computer got the current Flash-player version. So it likely is not a plain version issue.

After a full day of trouble shooting, editing, and frustration, I found the culprit and it isn't Flash after all. It's apparently a responsive scaling failsafe that kicks in when the browser window gets too small. The gallery controls and image title conflicts with the fixed sidebar when the browser window is reduced too small. It actually interrupts the native formatting and shoves the text to the bottom right of the image area, when it should be located to the bottom left of the site, outside of the image area. I'm using a Squarespace template and apparently ALL of them have this default behavior. The only answer I've found, after a full day of editing with a 9-month old on my lap, is to just make your browser window bigger. Ugh. :-(

I've done what I can to mitigate and minimize this effect, hopefully it'll work better on more browsers now. At the very least posting on APUG has already paid off, it's made me aware of a significant problem to my site.

Now It's Dark

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to the APUG jungle!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin