Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,084   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Neil and welcome to APUG
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

NJH

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks guys. Two of the shots I want to get big prints from are B&W (XP2 at 200 ISO). I think you're all spot on about the draw of larger formats, I am not really a fan of grain but utterly love the fantastic tonality of film which only seems to get better the bigger the format.

I was close actually to buying a Mamiya 6 or 7 instead of the M6 I got, I was a little worried having never shot roll film and having no familiarity with those cameras. Of course having used an M8 for about 9 months and having some lenses made the transition a bit easier.

Someone asked about darkroom experience, I only did B&W. From what I can recall the newspaper was all Ilford B&W on site, colour only seemed to be done on transparency film but I can't for the life of me recall where they had it done. I was only there for a couple of weeks so it was a very limited but hugely memorable experience. If we had the space I would love to set up my own darkroom. Funny thing is I never remembered the prints looking as grainy as a lot of the stuff I see on the net unless the film was pushed.

Never left the lens cap on but did once forget to check if the film leader had engaged and wasted a roll, I think everyone has done that one once.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUGland from Bridport. XP2 is one of my favourite films BTW.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Funny thing is I never remembered the prints looking as grainy as a lot of the stuff I see on the net unless the film was pushed.
    Darkroom prints are usually much less grainy than scans from the same negative, especially when printed with a diffuser enlarger. I can only speculate, but I think it is because enlargement shows grain (and other detail) exactly the way it is, while scanning converts real-world spheres and irregular shapes into ugly squares. In terms of fine details and tonality, darkroom prints have a distinct edge, in my view.

Never left the lens cap on but did once forget to check if the film leader had engaged and wasted a roll, I think everyone has done that one once.
    Once a year, more likely.

I think you're all spot on about the draw of larger formats, I am not really a fan of grain but utterly love the fantastic tonality of film which only seems to get better the bigger the format.
    I am betting you'll end up at 8x10 or beyond .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin