Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,980   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Born again from the Fens ventures into C-41

Hi all

Spent 35 years as a snap shooter using film (126, Polaroid, disk, 110, 135). Early convert to digital. Then became more enthusiastic, hence, my first SLR camera had a D in front of it. Then less than two years ago, spotted a Pentax ME Super in a charity shop. Started buying old film cameras, and discovering more about film then I did "in the day". Eventually started home processing b/w film, and just about reached the 50 roll mark. No interest yet in printing, instead, main interest is scanning (Epson V500) and sharing online.

My favourite film cameras, in order of use are presently my: 1) Olympus XA2's. 2) Bronica SQ-A, 3) Pentax ME Super, 4) Lubitel 166B, 5) Olympus Trip 35. Also sometimes like to use a box brownie, box coronet, and an Agfa Isolette. By the way, I've stopped the camera collecting now

I enjoy photographing people, sometimes dogs, pop culture.

About to attempt C-41 film process using Rollei Digibase - after fouling up with a little kit, I now have a 5L kit awaiting, along with about fifty AgfaPhoto 135 films from Poundland! Hence my attraction to this site - to seek advice and support on my giddy venture into C-41.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome back to the fold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. I like your cameras!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi from not that far away (across the border, up in the hills).... You'll find a few more lurkers around here that also live close by, so you are not alone.

Shooter
    35mm

Hah.

Welcome. But I wonder if you've stopped collecting cameras the way I have stopped chasing redheads. At my age, I chase 'em a lot slower, but....
    There's this really nice Minolta 110-size film Zoom SLR for $25 in this high end thrift shop near me. I passed on it last week but I'm going by there today. You see, I don't collect cameras, I rescue them. I have stopped rescuing Bilora Bellas but if I find a two-tone blue and silver-colored one...I can resist anything except temptaton. Good luck.

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello from another lurker in Bedfordshire (though only a part time lurker).

Stopped collecting? It's not actually possible, is it?

There's been a bit of talk about people returning to film lately. Does anyone know if there are any stats or figures on this anywhere? I'm just curious.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from Lancashire! Printing is way more fun than developing film, and doesn't stop you scanning and sharing, except scanning prints is better!

As for stopping collecting, is that not just what you tell a significant other??

C41 - never tried to home-process. I am afraid my colour gets developed and scanned at a pro-lab for peanuts and the (very) occasional prints get produced by an unmentionable device.

Whatever! Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to the fold.

I use Rollie Digibase C41 brew and have for about a year. I find it to be the cheapest and one of the easiest to use. It is stable and will do pretty much what is needed. The separate bleach and fix is a nuisance but ensures a proper process which with a bleach/fix combined solution I always had nagging doubts.

One word of caution though. The developer solution 'C' will most definitely go off (dark brown) if left in part empty bottles, so what I do is decant it into 100cc dark brown screw top bottles available from Boot's for about 15p each. That way it will stay fresh right until the kit is all used. Solution 'A' and 'B' are stable and will not go off. The 'C' is still OK to use if it changes colour to a straw colour, but if any darker it is spent.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 01-20-2014 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the warm welcome and tips all. Also just received some good advice from the forum chemistry department, after I messed up my C-41 fixer today. Looks like a useful forum for a novice such as myself.

No, I really have stopped buying film cameras! Ok, there was this cute little Olympus XA2 in a charity shop the other day. In it's case with an A11 flash unit, all pristine. I've already got two, but just had to buy that one! Wont happen again ;-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Welcome. But I wonder if you've stopped collecting cameras the way I have stopped chasing redheads. At my age, I chase 'em a lot slower, but....
    There's this really nice Minolta 110-size film Zoom SLR for $25 in this high end thrift shop near me. I passed on it last week but I'm going by there today. You see, I don't collect cameras, I rescue them. I have stopped rescuing Bilora Bellas but if I find a two-tone blue and silver-colored one...I can resist anything except temptaton. Good luck.
    As Bill Cosby would say, that's the reason to have a son so he can chase them and bring em back to your couch on the porch.

Pardon any typos, I can't spell and I'm using my phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin