Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,713   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Vancouver, Canada

Hi fellow analog enthusiasts! I am a long-time dabbler in the photographic arts.
    I still prefer to use that quaint old thing called film. And I am happy that there still exist forums on the internet where I can feel at home.

GAS is a chronic condition that afflicts me so I have dabbled in small, medium and large formats and I maintain a good collection of seldom used camera equipment.

One of the positive things I did for my photography last year was to join a photography program at a local college. I got to meet some real photographers and got to use the excellent darkroom at the college. There are still some havens for analog photography in this digital world.

This brings me to a question, silly as it maybe, that has been plaguing me for a while. I am going to Nepal in a few weeks from now. My brother and I are going on an eleven day trek in the Solukhumbu (Everest) region. I have three options on photographic gear but can't decide which to take.

Option 1
    1. Horizon S3 Pro panoramic camera (35mm).
    2. Seagull Twin Lens Reflex (6x6 and 6x4.5 medium format).

Option 2
    1. Horizon S3 Pro
    2. Leica M2, DR Summicron 50, Voigtlander Ultron 35, Voigtlander APO Lanthar 90 (this has been my standard kit but this is heavy!)

Option 3
    1. Horizon S3 Pro
    2. Voigtlander Bessa R2-C, Helios 103 50mm, Voigtlander Color Skopar 35)

I am very familiar with all the equipment and each has its pros and cons. The issue is schlepping all the gear in my backpack up and down those mountains. I am also packing my $50 kodak digicam.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for indulging this fool. :-)

-------------------------
    My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25605306@N00/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome!

It's hard to give advice other than pack as light as possible. Personally if I was doing a trip like that I'd take one camera only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG......

Shooter
    35mm

half

Take half as much photo gear and twice as much money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

There are a fair number of us here from the Vancouver area - hope you get lots from APUG.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Just the Voigtlander and Skopar 35. Keep it lilght!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, it's a good idea to pack a lighter camera. I will go with the Bessa, it is compact and the lens is small too. Carrying more money is very easy, USDs convert to a lot of Nepalese Rupees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from atop Burnaby Mountain...and welcome to APUG! Equipment advice? Sort of like opening a Pandora's box of opinion! My two-bits? Versatility triumphs over simplicity: The M2 and its lenses.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin