Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,116   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Howdie From Wisconsin

I've just started creating my first website. You can visit it at: www.desmidt.net I'd appreciate any constructive criticism that you'd care to offer.

-Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Peter.

Took a quick look at your new site. Nice, clean layout. FWIW, you might want to check image file sizes, though. A number of the files are considerably larger, Kbyte-wise, than they need to be if re-sized and compressed properly. That makes download times longer than they should be - especially for people on dial-up connections.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the comments. What size should I aim for? What level jpeg compression would you suggest? (I use Photoshop CS).

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of the 500pixelish images look way oversharpend to me. A little sharpening is typically needed afte a scan, but these seem to have had to much done to them.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    Most of the 500pixelish images look way oversharpend to me. A little sharpening is typically needed afte a scan, but these seem to have had to much done to them.
    Thanks for the comment. I admit that I have some difficulty with this, especially with prints from 35mm negatives developed in a high edge-effect developer, e.g. "The Boys" in the "Dogs" section. This was from a 35mm TMX negative developed in FX-1 with minimal agitation. The 8x10ish print has large grain and rather extreme edge effects. Scan look very soft pre-sharpening, but sharpening does some nasty things, I admit. I'll work on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please send me some New Glarus Coffee Stout......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Thanks for the comment. I admit that I have some difficulty with this, especially with prints from 35mm negatives developed in a high edge-effect developer, e.g. "The Boys" in the "Dogs" section. This was from a 35mm TMX negative developed in FX-1 with minimal agitation. The 8x10ish print has large grain and rather extreme edge effects. Scan look very soft pre-sharpening, but sharpening does some nasty things, I admit. I'll work on it.
    If you want a really good sharpener, try the Dead Man Sharpener's from http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/gear/digital.html the "Deadmans Super Sharpener" action does a great job for websized images.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wisconson? Okay, I need to look at a map. I had a 3rd rate NYC education so I don't know any states between Ca and NY.

I like your website. Aren't you on some mailing list I'm on? Name sounds so familiar

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter,
    I like the work. I also like the web layout. You might want to check the thumbnail window and make sure that it can scroll down. My screen cuts off the bottom row of images. Are you in dreamweaver? I just had to learn this one. Glad to see another LF shooter in the upper mid-west. There needs to be a view camera group in the area.
    Cheers,

Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the comments. Most of the images on the site aren't from large format, as I print most LF negatives to 11x14, and these don't fit on my scanner. There is a view camera group centered around norther IL and IN. They're called the large format asylum. See: http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/ Where are you located? Yep, I'm using Dreamweaver. I like it, but I'm really just starting to learn it.

To Eric, I'm on the Jim Brick's Pure-Silver mailing list, and Paul Roark's digital printing list. Perhaps you're on one of those?

To sjixxxy, Thanks for the the pointer to Dead Man's Sharpener's. So far, though, I haven't figured out how do use these.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin