Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,508   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not quite 9 years for me, but I share the sense of community your post conveys so well. I've found some of my favorite photographers through this site (many of whom I'd never have known about without APUG, and a few of them now proudly hang on my walls). I've been entertained, educated, and inspired. I've developed friendships, have met a few, and hope to meet more down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over 7 years for me and APUG has cost me a fortune by first convincing me to buy not one but two Hasselblads [503 and 903] plus lenses and then two 4"x5" cameras, set up a darkroom with an enlarger, drum print dryer and a JOBO processor, and assorted other cameras, lenses, ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David, I am almost new here (2009) and I haven't posted that much as to reach your level of "comfort" with the whole business.

While you are still found of this website - like APUG - you go thru some mixed feelings. I must have felt the same in some other places: that is something everyone does experience at times. By visiting over and over one place, someone ends up believing the same "scenario" repeats itself... Kind of true.

As a member, somehow everyone finds his "role". If a beginner feels the urge to frequently post, older members only post when they feel their topic brings up something of interest.

Hang on, David, you will probably go thru some other photographic fevers... while keeping shooting around. Best of time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A pleasant read. Hard to believe I'm approaching eight years myself. I found this place trying to figure out why a new to me Bronica wasn't doing as expected and have hung on since. As with any large group there are all sorts, but definitely some inspiring folks. (Would I had 1% of illumiquest's imagination! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Happy APUG Anniversary, Mr. Brown. This has indeed been a very special place, with very special people.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Looks like it will be ten years for me in July. Apug has brought two great groups of things to me.

The wonderful lessons more knowledgeable people have given, either to me or directed to others that I have read.

Attending Bill Schwab’s 2008 Photostock and responding to the thought that the only thing that could be added was more frequent events. That was the happy start of the 3 or 4 times a year “NE OH Gatherings”, that have allowed my wife, three Lady Labradors and me to enjoy 10-25 like minded photographers for three day weekends at our house near the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the OH & Erie Canal and the Cleveland Flats.

Thanks Sean for turning on the lights.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hadn't thought about it until this thread, but my tenure here is almost identical....ten years on! As Bethe mentioned, the people I've met in real life from here (including her) must go unnamed as I'd hate to miss anyone, but there have been quite a few. There's a strong sense of community and common interest that's irresistible. I've learned a lot, and hope I've contributed some as well. But, special for me, having just moved a thousand miles away from my home of more than four decades, has been meeting and spending time with people from Jacksonville who I've known through apug for a long time. It's been like meeting distant cousins, and has been extremely welcome. So, thanks, David for your reflective post and all the memories it evokes. And, thank you Sean for making this site the wonderful place it has been and continues to be!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I congratulate you on your ten years on APUG with my 2,000-somethingth post.

Fun place isn't it?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To add to my earlier post....
    To me, the most remarkable thing about APUG is the sense of community. As a sad example, I note that the recent passing of Canadian member Lightwisps is noted in a thread started by Ricus, a member from South Africa - on the other side of the planet. The community is truly international, and it certainly has widened my horizons.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't imagine being here TEN whole years , but I agree with everything above, and have met some wonderful folks IRL. I imagine if this didn't exist I would have had to join some dull camera club or other... yay for APUG.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin