Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,529   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome to SF and APUG, 2 great places!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG and to San Francisco, hope you're saving your money for your rent.... :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Brian to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i with Silverfast. The manual feed is a pain. This is a decent scanner, but two great downfalls of this scanner are:
    *With underexposed transparencies, the backlight doesn't cut the mustard and the scans are extremely noisy.
    *When using Silverfast and setting the curves via the histogram and RGB sample points, the darker the area, the more likely the final image will deviate from the scan. For example, you manipulate the curves until a dark area reads 15R,15G,15B and the output file will have this area exhibit 45R,7G,12B or something like that. It's like it's doing a VERY BAD conversion internally from AdobeRGB to sRGB. I emailed Plustek and Silverfast and got an email 2 weeks later that said something to the effect of "your monitor is not calibrated." Hogwash. I managed colors numerically - the monitor was irrelevant. Now if you do a HDR scan with ICE at 7200dpi, each frame will take in excess of 10 minutes to scan. On dense negatives, I've resorted to projecting them and photographing the projected image. The results were better.

The following bad image represents a slightly underexposed Kodachrome slide using HDR at 2400dpi for a 4 minute scan per frame which didn't match the numbers adjusted. The good image represents a 30 second scan at 2400dpi which matched the numbers perfectly. The slides are circa 1947. By the way, the colors for both slides when projected were SPOT ON perfect. One just happened to be slightly underexposed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-(53).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	85014

Name:	Untitled-(12)web.jpg 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	85013

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Welcome to APUG and to San Francisco, hope you're saving your money for your rent.... :-)
    I kinda lucked out and managed "free" rent. I work part time at a hostel for my accommodations

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis Blevins View Post
    I've got the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i with Silverfast. The manual feed is a pain. This is a decent scanner, but two great downfalls of this scanner are:
    *With underexposed transparencies, the backlight doesn't cut the mustard and the scans are extremely noisy.
    *When using Silverfast and setting the curves via the histogram and RGB sample points, the darker the area, the more likely the final image will deviate from the scan. For example, you manipulate the curves until a dark area reads 15R,15G,15B and the output file will have this area exhibit 45R,7G,12B or something like that. It's like it's doing a VERY BAD conversion internally from AdobeRGB to sRGB. I emailed Plustek and Silverfast and got an email 2 weeks later that said something to the effect of "your monitor is not calibrated." Hogwash. I managed colors numerically - the monitor was irrelevant. Now if you do a HDR scan with ICE at 7200dpi, each frame will take in excess of 10 minutes to scan. On dense negatives, I've resorted to projecting them and photographing the projected image. The results were better.

The following bad image represents a slightly underexposed Kodachrome slide using HDR at 2400dpi for a 4 minute scan per frame which didn't match the numbers adjusted. The good image represents a 30 second scan at 2400dpi which matched the numbers perfectly. The slides are circa 1947. By the way, the colors for both slides when projected were SPOT ON perfect. One just happened to be slightly underexposed.

Name:	Untitled-(53).jpg 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	85014

Name:	Untitled-(12)web.jpg 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	85013
    Definitely good to know. I definitely need good resolution. I will be making online prints with mag cloud soon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I want to know if there are still hippies who lives in their small huts in a japanese style , bamboo at the ground , a coal burner , gas light may be. I read Kerauac and his friends having great fun. May be modern sf is huge different ?
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I want to know if there are still hippies who lives in their small huts in a japanese style , bamboo at the ground , a coal burner , gas light may be. I read Kerauac and his friends having great fun. May be modern sf is huge different ?

I believe that is a thing of the past. We still pay a lot of tribute to the Beat writers here, but with the exception of the homeless, SF is for "rich' (median cost for a studio apt here is 2,600$ a month) people. It's not really suited for the transient artsy travelers like they portray in the books.

If you don't fall into that category, then you need to be extremely adaptable and resourceful to find an acceptable living situation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Scanning questions beyond getting work uploaded to our galleries are best addressed at our sister site, DPUG, but you'll find a trove of information here regarding film and analog printing. Rayko photo center in San Francisco is an excellent resource.. I'm pretty sure they have darkroom rentals there! Welcome !

Shooter
    35mm
    great thank you! I had someone tell me about ryko this week. Really looking forward to checking it out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin