Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,141   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actual driving distance from Toronto, Canada to Dallas,Texas is 2350km. Thats a heck of a haul.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck, Jordan! I really wish I was independently wealthy so that I could buy some of your work to support you.
    I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Actual driving distance from Toronto, Canada to Dallas,Texas is 2350km. Thats a heck of a haul.
    I guess my finger-width measuring on the map isn't all that accurate. So Oklahoma City, then?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More like Independence, Mo. or Memphis, Tenn.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "distance" between Toronto and Dallas is 2350 km, and a whole lot more!

Best of luck Jordan - wish I was able to help you more.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. The farthest I ever rode my thumb was 300 miles. Just over 500 k.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 03-25-2014 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After high school I thumbed from Pa to Los Angeles, Ca and back. My best friend hitched to Berkley, Ca. and stayed. One siummer I hitched to Toronto with my friends sister so she wouldn't be on the road alone. That was an interresting trip, I stayed in Canada for a month and played. Aah, the 60's.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think us border to us border travel would be expensive with my standarts but crossing the mexica with a bus cheap , even university girls do that trip. I sometimes see some turkish girls blogs and they criss cross these lenghts by bus , 48 hours or longer trips at south america. I criss crossed the med road several times with thumb with zero money. If you sleep regularly , if you eat , it can be done. Lots of african immigrants crosses the border lines from africa to germany , passing here. Some africans crosses the sahara desert by walking. Selling 300 dollar pictures and going to brazil is not me.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jordan, that's fantastic. I hope I can help out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the support guys and just as importantly, the well wishes to help.

Most importantly than money, I appreciate the vote of confidence. I expect a degree of trouble and injury, which is par for the course. So, that means a lot. It's always good to support fellow APUG'ers, but money is not everything. This will happen regardless. I just viewed it as an opportunity for people to pre-purchase inexpensive prints from someone whom they have at least had some connection with. It'll be a hell of an experience and I hope I can match my vision to the photographs and eventually bring some of those images to the forum to share. I just wanted to offer people the opportunity to be part of the project if they want to be.

I know Mustafa, you probably have a very different perspective on the issue and I assure you this isn't a fundraiser for a rich, white kid to travel the world. I've done my fair share of hitch hiking and to do this to Sao Paulo from Ontario is not possible for a number of reasons around border security, roads that end in Central America and a lack of time (I had to beg my employer to take 2 months off without losing my job - I can't realistically spend half that time on the road). Trust me when I say that I would rather the experience of travelling on a dime than on a diamond ring. The experience for me is a huge factor, but given the time constraints, it's not possible. I have also been denied on the border by a bus before and have been "red flagged" due to suspicion of "living there as a photographer"...so travelling through hitch hiking and busing was not worth the risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin