Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,537   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They have potential, I like them.
    Keep it simple, uncluttered shots are usually stronger.

The highway shot feels a bit rushed with the crooked horizon, and the gas station (?) one could benefit from a bit more exposure.

Also, they make sense as a set, especially the ones involving the abandoned cars or gas pumps.
    Even if a bit cliched, you could make a nice gallery/exhibition on the subject, if you keep shooting that subject matter.
    Last edited by giannisg2004; 04-05-2014 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Welcome to APUG. I'm drawn to similar subject matter. A suggestion I would give is to get closer and isolate what you want us see. With the green and red pick up, the image might be more interesting if all I see is the transion from green to red. How important is the other stuff? We each shoot differently and I try to have no ambiguity about my subject matter. If something is not important for my composition, it doesn't get included. Get closer, keep releasing the shutter and keep posting images. Again, welcome to APUG. Bill Barber
    Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Ill note to only have the important things in shot.
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"The world is cold and times are bad
    ...War and drugs are everywhere
    And it’s getting so hard to breathe the air
    But it doesn’t have to be like this
    All the rancor and bitterness
    If we can just open our eyes
    We can make the world a paradise someday" Ce Ce Rogers

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giannisg2004 View Post
    They have potential, I like them.
    Keep it simple, uncluttered shots are usually stronger.

The highway shot feels a bit rushed with the crooked horizon, and the gas station (?) ones could benefit from a bit more exposure.

Also, they make sense as a set, especially the ones involving the abandoned cars or gas pumps.
    Even if a bit cliched, you could make a nice gallery/exhibition on the subject, if you keep shooting that subject matter.
    The one of the highway was taken out a car window at 60mph lol. I just thought that it would turn out interesting. I like how the gas station one turned out actually. How the gas station is dark and the sky in light, I thinks its awesome. But hey, everyone likes different things. I fail to see how they are cliche (except on the highway one). Please elaborate. I appreciate your advise and look forward to more, thanks.
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't take it personally, but the whole "urban decay" thing -along with various New Topographics derivatives- is a popular theme.
    Just google urban decay, and you'll see innumerable photos with similar subject (most of it HDR vomit probably, but also some well executed ones).

I'm not saying not to do it, because someone else has already done it. Art is derivative anyway.
    I'm suggesting that you "personalize" it, find unique elements so it reflects the vibe of *your* place/surroundings, and it's not just "urban_decay_shot_#4594".
    I don't know your place to tell exactly how to do so, but you'll find something if you look hard enough.

Regarding the gas station shots, I like the second one, my comment was for the first one (I'll correct the typo).

Shooter
    35mm
    What does the American West have to do w/"Urban" decay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to Apug from Australia! You are certainly on the right track with your vision, love to see these in B&W.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    What does the American West have to do w/"Urban" decay?
    I think he connected it to the American west because in some of my photos you can see the rock formations that are common along there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, so I should work on making my photos more unique and singling out only the important aspects. Any other tips? I would love to get some more so if anyone has any please feel free to tell me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my advice: do what you want and stop listening to advice. approval from others is nice but fades in about 10 minutes. the photos you love yourself will give you lifetime of enjoyment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    my advice: do what you want and stop listening to advice. approval from others is nice but fades in about 10 minutes. the photos you love yourself will give you lifetime of enjoyment.
    I agree. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin