Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,804   Online: 834

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Check out the Photographer George Tice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    welcome to apug!
    nice images

my main advice would be take as many photographs as you can
    so seeing becomes second nature.
    the more you do the better you will get ...

don't forget to have fun !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Btw, you'll need criticism.
    I'm all for having a vision and going against the critics to bring your vision to life.

But not in the beginning. In the beginning you'll need objective criticism, not pats on your back.
    There are very few places that you can get that, since in most photo communities irl and online, the "critique" is just circlejerking.

There'll be a time to go against critiques.
    Just not in the beginning.
    When you start out, dismissing all critique as people "not getting it" is the easy way out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giannisg2004 View Post
    Btw, you'll need criticism.
    I'm all for having a vision and going against the critics to bring your vision to life.

But not in the beginning. In the beginning you'll need objective criticism, not pats on your back.
    There are very few places that you can get that, since in most photo communities irl and online, the "critique" is just circlejerking.

There'll be a time to go against critiques.
    Just not in the beginning.
    When you start out, dismissing all critique as people "not getting it" is the easy way out.
    I agree that I need to make my photos different from others and there where some things that I accidentally included in my pictures that ruined the mood. But besides that, I like the way my pictures turned out.
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"The world is cold and times are bad
    ...War and drugs are everywhere
    And it’s getting so hard to breathe the air
    But it doesn’t have to be like this
    All the rancor and bitterness
    If we can just open our eyes
    We can make the world a paradise someday" Ce Ce Rogers

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will take advice to a certain point, but if I see a picture that I want I will take it. I will not let others tell me what to take a picture of and will only let them tell me how to take the picture to an extent. Like how you can't tell a poet what to write, or how you can't tell a painter what to paint. To be an artist you have to make your own stuff and can't just do what others tell you to do. I do try to strive to make them unique though, so Ill keep your advice in mind when shooting. Again if others do have constructive criticisms I would enjoy hearing it.
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"The world is cold and times are bad
    ...War and drugs are everywhere
    And it’s getting so hard to breathe the air
    But it doesn’t have to be like this
    All the rancor and bitterness
    If we can just open our eyes
    We can make the world a paradise someday" Ce Ce Rogers

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, the person you really need to please, is yourself. Unless you are a pro on assignment.

At the same time, if you show your photos to the public, expect that some will not "get it".

Pictures are worth a thousand words. If nobody is getting it, perhaps you are speaking the wrong language for your audience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG! Like you, I also like urban/rural decay (amongst many other themes). I agree with what John said above -- shoot a lot. And if you can, print a lot. After a while you'll discover what your strongest images are, at least to yourself. And if you are willing to listen to critique (and take it with a grain of salt) you might discover which images speak to a more general audience. They probably won't all be the same, not that that matters.

The other advice about looking at the work of others who do similar types of photography is good too. It will hopefully inspire you, make you look at your own work with a more critical eye, and hopefully won't overwhelm you (sometimes I think "why bother" when so many others have done the same, and usually better. But then I realize it's just for me and I keep going.)

Anyway, good luck and keep shooting!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice images. You're getting some interesting juxtapositions and compositions as you photograph what interests you.

Which leads to one question- why do these subjects interest you? I'm not asking to get an answer from you, just throwing out a question to ask yourself.

A simple thing to pay attention to- the edges of the frame. People tend to not talk about the edges, but that's where you make or break a photo. Anyone can put Half Dome or a rusted truck in a frame; its how you decide what to show and not show along the edges that will be huge in defining the image.

And look at other photographers. Find an image that you like and study it. Why did they stand where they did? Why not three feet to the left, or kneeling? What would you have seen in the same place? Follow the lines, the structure, the tension between 'content' and 'form.'

And whatever you do, do NOT be out shooting and try to copy what someone else did in shooting a similar scene. Also, do NOT try to NOT copy what someone else did. Find the photo you want for the place and time you are in; let your study of other photographs drop away when actually shooting.

Two photographers I'll suggest you look at- Paul Strand and Eugene Atget. First, because they were both masters. And second, because they didn't shoot what you are shooting, so you'll learn more about photography- what can Atget's photo of the Pavillon Français, Trianon, teach you about shooting an abandoned gas station?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1995_36_3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	85712

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. Nice photos, thanks for sharing.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin