Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,393   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: helleaux :)

Shooter
    35mm

helleaux :)

Hi! I'm Forrest Conifer. I've been playing with film on-and-off since late 2011, using assorted trashy 35mm cameras acquired from thrift stores. Here's a photo of all the cameras in my collection - the aforementioned cheap 35mms, two 110 cameras and a Polaroid camera from the late 90s or early 2000s:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	85721

I like film because of the element of unpredictability which just isn't there with digital cameras. Here is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P0XNqfd.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	574.6 KB 
ID:	85722

^ that photo was taken on expired off-brand film using a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 I found at an estate sale.

Thanks for having me! I'm sure I'll learn a lot and can't wait to begin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S0PyVvn.jpg  
    Current wishlist: Olympus XA | Ricoh AF-5 | Nikon L35AF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Forrest and a warm welcome to APUG! I like your collection of cameras.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Forrest Conifer! Glad to see you're branching out!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you finally found us. That was the hardest part. And now it's done. Glad that's over...

Have a look around. See what you think. Ask some questions. Maybe answer some too. Lots (lots!) of people here. Way-too-young to way-to-old. Lifetimes of knowledge available just for the asking.

Also keep in mind that, while accidental imperfections are interesting, film is also capable of stunningly high quality. In many cases of larger formats, far far beyond digital. But with a completely different look. And feel. And reward.

So let us know what you think...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Hello Forrest and a warm welcome to APUG! I like your collection of cameras.
    Thank you! I'm thinking of selling/trading the Canon AF35M, Vivitar 320Z and Fuji 190 Zoom, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Also keep in mind that, while accidental imperfections are interesting, film is also capable of stunningly high quality. In many cases of larger formats, far far beyond digital. But with a completely different look. And feel. And reward.
    I've heard that. Personally, though, I'm more interested in its lo-fi aspects

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Conifer View Post
    I've heard that. Personally, though, I'm more interested in its lo-fi aspects
    As you wish, Captain. Just keep it in mind...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! Your "helleaux" suggests that you could be from South Louisiana -- or maybe just an LSU fan. I spent my teen years there.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUGland!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Welcome! Your "helleaux" suggests that you could be from South Louisiana -- or maybe just an LSU fan. I spent my teen years there.
    Wait, is that a thing? I thought I invented it. I was just trying to sound vaguely pretentious and psuedo-French

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin