Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,096   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Soon to be film shooter. Greetings from Australia.

Hello from Australia,

Just signed up as I have a T90 on the way and I'm anticipating that I may have some questions or need some advice once it arrives.

To give a rundown of my photographic history - I started out with a Canon 450D and kit lens with no idea about photography, just using the automatic modes. To be honest I've got to be grateful for digital cameras because if it wasn't for them and their ease of use I would probably never have become interested in photography. My main interest is in motorsport photography, mostly motorbikes.

Anyway after I got the hang of it and actually knew how aperture, ISO and shutter speed affected the images I decided to upgrade to a used 1D MkII and bought a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L. WOW! That lens really opened my eyes... really liked the pro body as well. I used that combo for a few years, but only occasionally when I got out to spectate at some races or motorcycle track days. The other limiting factor is that I enjoy riding more than I enjoy taking photos, so that always made for difficult decisions!

Eventually I got sick of viewing races through a tiny hole in a box, I wanted to just kick back and actually watch the race instead of taking photos all the time so I sold all the dSLR gear and bought an M8 with 50mm Summilux for general use. No longer annoyed about having a small viewfinder or it blacking out when the shutter is released... the M8 is a keeper.

But just recently I started to miss the motorsport photography again - this also happened to coincide with having a roll of film processed that had been sitting in my Wide Angle Slim (toy camera) for 2 years. I was surprised at the photos that came out of that, I used to think of film as something of a novelty but that made me take it more seriously. I wanted to use more film, I wanted a cheap way to get back into motorsport photography, and here I am!

After a week of furious Googling I made a decision and very shortly a bunch of T90 gear will be winging it's way to me. No idea how I will adapt to manual focus, but I'm going to give it my best shot!

Well no sitting around, now I'm off to the Modifications forum...

Cya's around!

Images
    Good Evening, Mugget,

Welcome from the mid-western U. S.

You've found the right spot. I wish I'd had the enormous resources of APUG when I started out in photography about 50 years ago. Just about any topic you may need information on can be found in the Forum posts.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great to have you here Mugget!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of Australian on here Mugget but its a big country. Where you from?
    Oh, and welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a wam welcome to APUG. T-90 is a great camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG.......glad you've found the site and this forum as well.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy, film is great. It's even better once you discover medium format. I think a lot of people who shoot digital, forgot or never knew how good the film is, since they didn't own a good camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! Too bad you didn't keep all of your EF lenses, all the stuff I originally bought for my 7D works just as happily on my EOS 3 (except the 40mm Pancake, I actually bought that specifically for my EOS 3 with the eye-control focus). But manual focus ain't so bad, I can work it a lot easier in dim light than either of those bodies can.

If you like bikes, can I guess that you live somewhere a hundred km southeast of Melbourne maybe?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I'm in Brisbane actually, nowhere near Melbourne. But would love to be near Phillip Island... I'll ride it one day I guess!

The Australasian Superbikes came to QLD last weekend, so I've got a bunch of film to have processed. I'll soon see how I did... Just one more roll to finish, that's actually in a wide angle toy camera but I still don't want to just waste it. Haha. Waiting for that so I can get the 5 roll discount at the local shop.

I do actually have a stock of 120 film in the fridge at the moment. My Dad has an old medium format camera, but I just need to give it some TLC, the aperture ring is frozen. Added onto the list of ever-growing tasks to complete... I want to use that for some motorcycle related photography as well, should be interesting!

And yeah I was surprised that manual focus wasn't too bad for panning either... even started to get the hang of keeping the bikes in focus as they move around the track. But if it wasn't for digital cameras I would never have become this interested in photography I'm sure. Before it was just all a mystery to me, too complicated. But then I started on a 450D on sports program mode and it went from there. Haha. And nope, I never owned a good film camera before, so I'm getting pretty excited to see how all these shots look!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin