Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Hello - Seeking Yaschiamat Guidance

Hello,

I was referred here from folks at dpchallenge.com as I acquired a Yashicamat camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	86735

I am hoping I can get some guidance on this site as to how to take pictures with it. Also, the best place to get the film and processing. I checked my local area and they do not carry the 120 film and do not develop it.

Thanks,

Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can order 120 film from Freestyle or B&H. There is a place on the westcoast called The Darkroom can develop your film and put it on CD. BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to Apug! Where are you located, this will help us find what you need.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica...t_m-splash.htm
    Last edited by Rick A; 04-23-2014 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You made it -- welcome! You can order 120 film cheaply from B&H or Adorama or Freestyle. As I mentioned "over there," Kodak Tri-X 400 is a good all purpose black and white film to start out with. Search on YouTube for Yashicamat for tips on loading and shooting. It's something best seen in action versus trying to explain.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the info and I need to read the manual but who can give me cliff notes on how to adjust the camera with respect to the timing/fstop ,etc? I think it is the two dials on the front.

Also, does it also shoot color?

what size photos does it produce?

I've not thought about development myself but I really want to try this out. My father had one a longtime ago and I know before he passed he bought this one on Ebay. However, I don't think he ever got the opportunity to shoot any film through it. So I want to take some myself to keep his passion going.

Thanks!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Amazon also sells 120 film. I've had good luck from them, B&H, Badger Graphics, and Midwest. Badger and Midwest were for LF film, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It shoots a 6x6cm negative(21/4 square). The exposure is set with the wheels, the shutter speed and aperture(f-stop) settings are read in the window on the top of the lens assembly. You take a light reading and transfer the settings to the camera via the wheels, then focus and compose through the top view finder, pop the magnifier up for critical focus back down for comp. Always be sure the x-synch is in the X position before using the self timer. Most people jamb the selector switch in the x position permanently as it is for electronic strobe flash(m setting for flash bulb). The Yashica Mat automatically cocks the shutter on film advance, so just hold the camera cradled in your left hand with index finger resting on the shutter release, all other functions are performed with right hand.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    How do I do a light reading? Sorry, but I am a noob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you own a light meter or have a smart phone with an app for it. You can always use the sunny 16 rule (or sunny 11 depending on your location). I recommend you purchase a book on basic photography, such as "Photography" by London and London (or London and Upton depending on reprint).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have a smartphone but no light meter. If I wanted to take just some basic indoor photos and outdoor is there a general guide of what speed of film, etc.?
    I think I may have a photography book but I think it is more digital in nature, perhaps the settings are the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin