Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,973   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone

Shooter
    35mm

Hello Everyone

Hi - my name is Laura and I am actually excited to see such a group still exists. I was beginning to think film photography was a thing of the past. I started working seriously in film media in the 80s, as a teenager, and learned to work in the darkroom developing and printing my own photos. My Father, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather were impressive photographers and it was an experience to learn and work along side them. Unfortunately as time has gone by I haven't the time to be as involved as I once was and have now inherited all of the family photography equipment. I have been searching for others that still work in film to see if there is a market for this type of equipment. I have been storing it, but would now like to sell or donate it so it can be used and enjoyed. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 35mm equipment, a Hasselblad, and some large format cameras all needing good homes. Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Laura

welcome

Stampede!

Noel

Shooter
    35mm

Hasselblad

Hi, Laura.Maybe you should check KEH for the value. I'll take it (Hasselblad) on a donation basis. I'll pay shipping.
    Last edited by chip j; 04-27-2014 at 07:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Fisher View Post
    Unfortunately as time has gone by I haven't the time to be as involved as I once was
    Perhaps you should make time to use it instead of selling it all off. It would be a shame to waste all that knowledge passed down to you.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cliveh is right, maybe just did your toe in ans see how it goes, even if it's just a 35mm camera. The whole process is really just magic and if you just process the negs yourself it can be very addictive...oh, and welcome here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Laura, I agree with the others -- why don't try shooting some of those cameras? You might just like it!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Laura,

At the risk of being presumptuous, I have to agree with the others. Is using the equipment out of the question? Obviously I never met them. But I'd bet if they could still give some advice, your Father, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather might just agree as well?

People here will likely be interested in the equipment. But they might be even more interested in having a new practicing film photographer join the community. We'd rather have you than your cameras...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Laura,
    I second the suggestion to try some of the cameras - see if you like shooting any of them - and if so keep them, sell the rest

cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Think about learning about your family's cameras and using them before deciding to sell them off.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with using them. I have a few cameras from my great-grandfather and it's just a cool feeling to know he used it before I did. I've only run a couple of rolls through his 35mm, but I've used my dad's Pentax almost as much as my others combined.
    If you have the space to put in a darkroom, you know how addictive it can be to see that print show up in the developer.
    And welcome to APUG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin