Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,264   Posts: 1,680,775   Online: 799

JFB

Shooter
    Medium Format

Finally Getting Serious-at least a little...

Hello All,

My name is John. I've just bought my first LF camera this past week; a Sinar Alpina with Schneider 210mm Symmar S lens from a friend. I had always figured MF and LF would be too expensive and way over my head technically speaking, but after playing around with a couple of TLRs for a year or so and after talking with a few LF photographers I work with I've decided to take the LF plunge. I was leaning toward a field camera but since I mostly photograph architecture; after several conversations with more experienced photographers, a monorail camera seemed the better choice for the narrow winding streets of my home town-Boston, Mass. I've been taking photos off and on since before I got my first camera in 1973-a Polaroid Swinger Model 20 (Before that I used my father's Land Camera 100). My father worked at Polaroid for 40 years so we were an instant film family. In the early 80s I got a Ricoh KR5 and shot mostly Kodachrome and Ektachrome. I was never happy with the B&W I shot years ago, I never got those rich blacks that I longed for. Years later I found out why, I was metering-as well as doing a few other things wrong. I sort of stalled, then eventually fell out of the hobby for the most part.

A few years ago when I got a new job which brought me in contact with some younger art-focused people I was inspired to pick up a camera again. I've been using nothing but older all-manual cameras; a couple of SLRs-a Canon TX and two Nikon FM2's a few long and short lens (I haven't dusted off the old KR-5 yet), a bunch old funky viewfinder and rangefinder cameras: Argus A1's an A2 and a couple C3's an Ansco or two, an Agfa Memar a couple of Kodak 35's and the like. I also took the medium format plunge with a couple of TLRs; a Ciroflex Model E, a Super Ricoflex, and a folder an early Ensign Selflex 420. I also picked up a Land Camera 100, just like the one my Father had when I was a kid. Mostly, what I suppose many would call junk cameras but they are great fun. They have helped spark my interest in photography all over again. Simple sturdy cameras for the most part, ones I'll dare open up and tinker with, and am (usually) able put back together. Along with some mostly yellow and amber filters, a trusty GE DW-68, a grey card and a few photography books I've learned more and improved more in the last couple of years than in the twenty years previous to that. I've had no luck getting the couple of 1960's era rangefinders I've bought up and running.

My biggest problem right now is not knowing how to develop the film and not getting it processed fast enough to remember what I did or didn't do most of the time. I do take notes and it helps a bit. You can see scans of some of my older stuff and a few of my newer Polaroid adventures on my Flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/77461661@N04/sets/

I have loads of questions and I'm sure I'll have loads more once I get out there and start shooting with the Sinar.

Pax,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

This thread includes a lot of useful help: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...resources.html

I've subscribed to it. You may want to too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG !

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi John,
    Welcome to APUG! I hope you have fun with the new LF gear.
    Did you know you could also make paper negatives (with B&W photo paper)?
    Much easier to develop and much cheaper than film.
    There is a subforum about this here on APUG. See:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum426/

Have fun and catch that light beam!

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

"I enjoy vintage cameras as “users,” rather than imprisoning them in some display case"

My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Fuji GSW690 II, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello John and a warm welome to APUG.

Jeff

JFB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gents,

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and thanks for the reading suggestions! It looks like there's a lot of good reading there!

Pax,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... LF. That's impressive. Welcome!!
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, John.
    Charles Hohenstein

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin