Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,340   Online: 916

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Clueless Film Noob

Hey, just your (below) average film noob here and thought I'd introduce myself since I'm probably gonna have lots of dumb questions. So I really have no film experience, save a Canon Elph APS 370z that I had in the 90's and more recently a Superheadz Slim and Wide that I picked up last year (fun, plastic camera). I've been a digital shooter for over 10 years now, but after picking up the Superheadz, I started to think about picking up something that I could actually control but never got around to it. Unfortunately it came up again when my Canon 1DIV got stolen from the trunk of my car just before Christmas last year and I was without a camera for a couple of months. During that time I pulled my dad's old camera stuff out of storage and started messing around with it. It was an old Nikon F2 that had belonged to my grandfather before my father and that my dad used to take pics of my sister and I growing up. I remember that I hated sitting still for all those pics and now I'm the one taking the pics. I did pick up a Canon 1DX to replace my stolen cam and got sidetracked again, but have recently been looking at film once again. I doubt that F2 will ever replace my 1DX, but I feel like I need to at least explore the film world. My dad also noticed me messing around with his old stuff and went to grab my late uncle's photo stuff for me to look at and I've now inherited a Mamiya RB67 Professional to play with. So after putting it off for months, I finally sent my F2 out to get "Soverized" and am looking forward to getting that back. I think I do need to have someone look at the lenses I have, though, since they could probably use some servicing. For the Mamiya, it could use some TLC since it's got all sorts of crap inside the body so if anyone has any advice on where to send it (as well as the lenses), I'd appreciate it. I just purchased a Polaroid back for it off of eBay and a bunch of instant film (FP-100C, FP-100B and FP-3000B) and will hopefully be experimenting with those soon. The funny thing is that I've gotten so caught up with this stuff that I went out and bought a Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 523/2 6x9 folder f4.5 / 105mm Novar off of eBay so that will be coming to me shortly as well. So I haven't even taken a single shot with film yet, but have all this film and have been looking constantly at cameras. I don't see myself going all film at any point, but I certainly have caught the bug for now and I'll just have to see how long it lasts. Sorry for being so long-winded, hopefully you are still conscious after reading my autobiography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I comment about whether you are dumb or not, I must say you are stinking rich at least. BTW welcome to APUG.
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you might as well start shooting it, since you have em.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! You ought to use film more, it is a lot more fun.

Jeff

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for the welcome.

Shutterbug--if only that were true. My purchases are a combination of saving, credit card and bill me later

dehk--I plan to but the only one I'm in possession of right now is the Mamiya and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it (or if it even still works). I'm still watching tutorials on it.

Jeff--thanks. Hopefully it's more fun than frustrating.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might want to keep an eye out for a Canon 1V (or 1V HS). You'll be able to use your EF lenses (I assume you have some), and the controls will be pretty much the same as your 1D-bodies.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Might want to keep an eye out for a Canon 1V (or 1V HS). You'll be able to use your EF lenses (I assume you have some), and the controls will be pretty much the same as your 1D-bodies.
    cool, thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENGHOST View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

Shutterbug--if only that were true. My purchases are a combination of saving, credit card and bill me later
    Well, you have to be rich to get credit these days

The Mamiya is s great camera. My suggestion would be to start with that and see if you enjoy the whole analog process.

If the bug bites you, then you should look for an analog EOS body that is compatible with your, no doubt impressive, array of L-lenses.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blimey !! ( 'London-Speak' for Goodness Gracious ) -- you are very lucky to start with such gear -- I started in 1951 with my Mum's Kodak Hawkeye Box Camera which she got by saving up 'Black Cat' Cigarette coupons in the 1930's ( as she didn't smoke it took a LONG TIME!)
    Over here in UK FILM was a rareity after the war as all production went to the Armed Forces -- it was only ten years later that we could get film and one roll cost a week's pocket money for me !! I used to cycle round all the Chemists shops asking if they had any 'Outdated film cheap for a poor Schoolboy' and got a lot of Kodak Verichrome and Ilford FP3 and Selochrome for 6 pence a roll 120 size!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENGHOST View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

dehk--I plan to but the only one I'm in possession of right now is the Mamiya and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it (or if it even still works). I'm still watching tutorials on it.

Jeff--thanks. Hopefully it's more fun than frustrating.
    Down load the user manual - Free
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...rb67_pro_s.htm

buy some cheap film
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=31

Do an art course

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin