Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Collector or Photographer??

Maybe a little of both.
    My name is Ken and I live in Orange County CA. In another lifetime I equipped myself with a Nikon 35mm and spent a few years experiencing my young family through a viewfinder until I decided I wanted to participate more than capture moments of others participation in life. 40 yrs later I found myself searching ebay for a replacement digital camera and through buying and trading and selling, I ended up with a nice Olympus E-3 outfit with assorted lens. It takes gorgeous pictures and I'm very happy with it. During that journey I started seeing film cameras for sale - CHEAP. Ridiculously cheap. I picked up a couple..then a couple more. Now with over 100 various film cameras, mostly medium format antiques, I'm finally developing a style - figuring out what type of photographer I want to be. My digital spends most of the time at home unless there is a specific need for one (ie: zoom lens, speed photography, etc).

I shoot film. Generally, B&W film. And I love everything about it from using a light meter to setting up a TLR or old folder to developing to printing and occasionally, just looking at the pictures.

Looking through some of the portfolios here, I see some wonderful shots. Mine are still 'wanting'. I'm learning all of the time and still stumbling around trying different cameras I have and different films. I also do some heavy-handed post processing occassionally, trying to re-create what I saw or create what I envision. I will be posting some pics later even though I feel a little out of place with some of the photoshopping I do in comparison to some of the wonderful 'un - or lightly edited pictures I see in the portfolios here so I hope you forgive me trying to make up for lack of experience or talent or ??? by relying on the computer to salvage whatever it is that I did to the original film.

Anyway, this is me. At 62, I am no stranger to film but definitely a hobbyist or amateur at best. When I was 12 I shot with my grandfather's Kodak Folding Pocket Camera #1 and still have pictures from it. I've come full circle now and am back to shooting 'my grandfather's cameras', or at least cameras from his era.

Hi

Shooter
    35mm

aaah

Oh, you young whippersnappers. I am a photographer but not a collector. I rescue olde cameras. Strays, cameras nobody wants, sad little creatures on dusty shelves or thrift store windows. Some work flawlessly after 60 or more years some have missing parts, you never know. I found a pair of Bilora Bellas that I bought for $10 each for spare parts for one I already had and both were in better condition than the one I already had. Loads of fun, olde film cameras and lenses. I bought a 60-year old Rolleiflex in wonderful shape for $180. It's a keeper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great story. BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

What about limits?

Hi!
    When You pick yet another camera for Your collection, do You go by feeling or is Your buying limited by strict rules (will price, condition, age or something else stop You from buying) Is there some sort of camera that You would never touch?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am a photographer, if I do not use a camera I sell it. The Tessina and Brownie Hawkeye are the exceptions.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm both as well. But I've filled up my available space and own or have owned pretty much all the cameras that I find interesting, so I'm slowing down significantly. (I claim that i am done, but there are still a couple of cameras that tickle my fancy.[hasselblad swc])) The best thing about digital is that I can now afford high end classic film cameras that I could only drool over during their hayday.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I am a photographer, if I do not use a camera I sell it. The Tessina and Brownie Hawkeye are the exceptions.
    Me too Steve, Cameras are for using, not fawning over. I'm not seeking to turn my small house into a museum.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankly No View Post
    Hi!
    When You pick yet another camera for Your collection, do You go by feeling or is Your buying limited by strict rules (will price, condition, age or something else stop You from buying) Is there some sort of camera that You would never touch?
    Collection cameras are mostly 'by feeling'. Price is definitely a consideration. I've never spent $100 for a camera (digital not included - I have an Olympus E-3 with assorted lenses, filters, bags, flashes, etc, etc, that I spent about $400 on total). Someday I will but so far poverty has kept me in check.

I definitely have OCD and will try to collect something in series.....the old Herbert George 620 box camera I try to get in each of it's incarnations - two versions of Imperial, Macy's, Roy Rodgers, Girl Scout, Boy Scout, etc. I think I have 7 different ones so far. I tried collecting all of the Kodak Bandit cameras and have all of them except the Special ($$$$...still looking for one $$$). I try to collect all of the different Univex (Universal Camera Corp) cameras because many of them are just plain weird...at least unique. For a while I was hung up on TLR's and now have around 30 different ones.

I am slowly eliminating cameras trying to stick mostly with 'shooters'. It's a hard choice because almost all of my cameras are capable of being shooters and I like to try them at least once before letting them go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am OCD in the fact that I hate having a camera that is not 100% in working order. I send them out for servicing, but only as cash allows. You can get a great old camera for $60, but then have to put $100 to get it operating properly. I need to put the brakes on this program. But I'm too lazy to sell the ones I don't need/use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin