Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,322   Online: 903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Jody - when I lived about 80-miles from Atlanta, I thought it was great that I could drive to the 14th Street exit, turn left and there was a photo store with everything I needed (I think it was Wolf). Now I log onto the Internet and there's even more stuff. Buy from our sponsors.

I'm in a camera club in which, I think, only two of us still regularly use film. We have an outing to Cumberland Island Saturday and I know most of them will be running around with cameras the size of a pack of playing cards firmly mounted on a tripod for every shot. I'm taking my 8x10 - that should be good for some stares.
    juan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Jody from Hawaii!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    You know you can't even buy a bottle of Rodinal in Atlanta any longer.

Don Bryant

I saw Rodinal at The Photo Barn, near Snellville last night. This store actually had quite a bit of analog stuff, though the owner said not much was selling.

I bought some Selenium toner and a couple of plastic bottles.

The owner gave me a funny tip about washing film that I hadn't heard-

"If you can lick it, and it tastes salty, then you need to wash it some more"

Interesting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting piece of advice you got there, JeffD!!! Hm....I don't think I want to be licking anything with fixer on it! haha

Welcome to APUG, Jody!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    hello from Suwanee GA.

DonB,
    you can buy Rodinal and other darkroom supplies at Photobarn in Lilburn (photobarn.com) They also carry a decent selection of films in Medium and Large format. Even carry Polaroid 55, and are competitve with B&H for Fuji LF prices.
    Ask for Jim.

Also try Wings on Briarcliff/N. Druid hills. Good used gear selection and some darkroom stuff. They have some hard to find things like leica, odd enlarger lensboards, and all sorts of bits and pieces. Wingsphoto.com Warren is a very nice sales rep to deal with.
    You can even haggle a little if you want to.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Glad to meet you guys,

Maybe after the weather warms a bit we can arrange to meet for informal outing. Who knows, maybe we can have enough members interested in film to form our own local APUG. Atlanta is a good central location and there are several places to meet and to photograph.

Eric, I was in Photo Barn last week and you are right about being better stocked than Showcase. The sales rep told me that their film sales are up. Apparently some of the pros are returning to using film when they can because of the amount of time it takes to make a digital print suitable for their clients.

Also read "Preserving Your Legacy" by Aldo Panzieri in the March/april issue of Photo Techniques. This should make some of the videographers (I mean digital photographers) think.

Jody P

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by esearing
    hello from Suwanee GA.

DonB,
    you can buy Rodinal and other darkroom supplies at Photobarn in Lilburn (photobarn.com) They also carry a decent selection of films in Medium and Large format. Even carry Polaroid 55, and are competitve with B&H for Fuji LF prices.
    Ask for Jim.

Also try Wings on Briarcliff/N. Druid hills. Good used gear selection and some darkroom stuff. They have some hard to find things like leica, odd enlarger lensboards, and all sorts of bits and pieces. Wingsphoto.com Warren is a very nice sales rep to deal with.
    You can even haggle a little if you want to.
    I'm sorry Eric I never shop those two stores as I have found over the years their ethics and service to be lacking. I've been living in Atlanta since 1959 and the really great camera stores are long long gone. Wallace Camera House was the best of the best selling Agfa, Ilford, Leica, and Rollei brands. Of course I could only hope to afford a Leica or Rollei as I was just a student then.

Crown Camera was also a great place, alas it too closed long ago.

Don

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody P
    Glad to meet you guys,

Maybe after the weather warms a bit we can arrange to meet for informal outing. Who knows, maybe we can have enough members interested in film to form our own local APUG. Atlanta is a good central location and there are several places to meet and to photograph.

Jody P
    Thanks Jody but I find photographing with a group to very distracting and generally unproductive for me. If you are interested in photographic socializing there are several good camera clubs in the Atlanta area.

If you are interested in photography as an art form I recommend The Atlanta Photography Group.

http://www.apgphoto.org/

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be pleased to go out shooting with you Jody. It would also be a nice thing to meet in an informal manner occasionally to share images we've been working on. You too Don, it would be nice to see some of your alternative processes face to face. I find it interesing to see anyones work, especially quality work.

The camera clubs around here are very good, but we have a slightly different goal to our madness so doing meets for our own brand of photography would be entirely appropriate. I cant really see us doing a monthly thing but doing shoots and occasional print and coffee meets when the time is right sounds good to me.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin