Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,044   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Deon, and welcome to APUG. Wonderful work from the Great Basin area.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome!

I find it interesting that at one show you presented your "gear", indicating what is possible at that level.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you very much for showing up w/ those gorgeous shots. It's a great reminder that it's all about the image, not the gear. All of us here, myself included, spend way too much time, effort, and money getting development and printing "right". We spend way too much of everything on buying expensive sharp lenses and all that stuff. Photography really isn't about all that, as your photos clearly show. Makes me REALLY miss the Southwest. The skies and the light are pure magic, and you have a keen eye to capture it so well.

It also reminds me that Tri-X is the greatest film ever made. You could probably cut a hole in the box it comes in and get excellent results.
    Last edited by momus; 08-03-2014 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know I won't be the only one here that gets excited and wants to try this, so I found the following ideas. One even has an interchangeable lens! But they're both in the spirit of plastic lenses and plastic cameras. What I'm thinking is that you could optically print panos w/ 135mm film relatively easily. An enlarger to print the 120 pano negs would be a beast of an enlarger.

http://www.amazon.com/Holga-135-PAN-...noramic+Camera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260920237723...84.m1436.l2649

deon
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Very nice photographs. I have been complaining for years about the notion of a limited array of cameras -- mostly only expensive ones -- being "pro" cameras. A pro camera is a camera a pro uses no matter how modest it is. I have used a cheap Kodak panorama camera and have had the images used by various publications. I have a relative who visited Stonehenge (before the fence went up) and got fantastic images of the place at dusk. It's not the box, it's the eye. Good work.
    Thank you everyone for your kind words!

deon
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Welcome to APUG. Your photos as seen on your website are wonderful -- they are certainly evocative of certain parts of the U.S. and the feeling you can get when out in the middle of nowhere. I see on your blog that you are printing your photographs, but presumably on an ink jet printer, meaning you're working primarily with digital scans of your "panoramic" negatives -- I put that in quotes because I guess you're shooting with one of those disposable one-shutter-speed one-f/stop cameras that had a plastic (?) wide angle lens and masked off the top and bottom of a standard 24X36 negative to get a panoramic format. I'm very impressed what you are able to do with that equipment, and would enjoy hearing more about your workflow. I'm sure we'll enjoy your company here on APUG and, hopefully, you ours.
    Thank you! You are absolutely correct, for now I'm printing with an Epson 7890 printer (Photo Black) and Hahnemuhle "Fine Art Pearl" paper. The 35mm negatives are scanned on a cheep Epson 700 scanner using a betterscan scan bed to better focus the negatives. I have printed the images silver as well as Platinum/palladium, this is the ultimate goal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Great group of people.

Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin