Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,547   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Greetings!

I've been lurking and occasionally posting for a few weeks, and thought it was time to post something here.

Name: Benno Jones
    Formats: 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x17, 9x12cm, 10x15cm, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10. But these days mostly the 10x15, 4x5 & 8x10. Someday 7x17 or 8x20, I hope.

I started taking pictures in High School back in the 70's. My father was a writer for Sports Illustrated magazine and through several of the photographers he worked with I got some assisting gigs and was introduced into the religion of Nikon. My first camera was a Nikon FM that served me long and well until 3 years ago when it's meter died. Through my 20s and 30s I did not shoot as much, and it was not about 1998 that I started seriously taking pictures again. I bought a Nikon N70 and re-taught myself to judge exposure by paying attention to what the camera recommended and how the results turned out.
    Within 2 years I had discovered eBay and old folding medium format cameras. With my recovered sense of light, I spent a couple of years shooting with no meter or rangefinder, guesstimating using the sunny 16 rule with generally good results. I was having all my film processed at labs due to a lack of home darkroom space (I have yet to live in an apartment or house with a big enough bathroom or adequate basement space), and by now I had become serious enough that I decided to look into taking some classes to renew my developing and printing skills.
    I entered the Certificate Program at Photographic Center Northwest (www.pcnw.org) here in Seattle in 2000 and over the next 4 years took various classes and gradually became more enamored of larger and larger negatives until my final thesis project was shot on 4x5. I had also during this time become an affirmed gear junkie and now have more cameras than I can possibly use, including 4 4x5s (Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic, older Calumet monorail and a Shen-Hao field camera), 5 5x7s (2 old 'cycle' type Senecas, 2 Kodak 33As - 1 in good shape and one a junker for parts, and a beautifully restored Buke & James painted black with red bellows), and 2 8x10s (a matching black and red Burke & James with another battleship grey B&J for parts). Lenses range from a 75mm f/8 Super Angulon to a 21" Ilex Process Paragon mounted in an Acme #4 shutter. In general I am attracted to shooting with vintage equipment, although my only publication was shot on 35mm with both the Nikon N70 and a Nikon F100 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...988762-7700102

My subject matter is mainly landscape and natural abstracts. I don't particularly like taking pictures of people. I will include them when I think it serves the image, but in general I prefer my shots without them. I would list as primary photographic influences Brassai, Eliot Porter, & John Pfahl. Secondarily Bruce Barnbaum, John Sexton, Ansel Adams, and (thematically) the Impressionist painters.

I am just about to move into a new area of work: contact printing on Azo. I have always been a confirmed cropper, and to work to make sure the entire negative is the complete composition is helping to stretch me in new directions. Hopefully I'll have some prints to post in the coming weeks.

My website - www.bjonesphoto.com - is rather outdated. I haven't taken the time to work on it in few years. But comments are always welcome.

Keep shooting!
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Benno.

Images
    I responded but it did not take I guess. I will be using this post as an example when my wife tells me I have too much crap. I can say, see he has more. Welcome.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Benno!

I'm with Mark on this one( I just purchased a new lense today and will break it to the wife tonight ).

Benno, have you met Dave, "the equipment junkie" ?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi benno

nice to see you here ( and nice to see your website - nice stuff! )

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Benno.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Good Morning, Benno,

Welcome from Illinois. Always good to have another equipment addict.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Make yourself comfortable here Benno.
    Is there a format that have not tried yet? Aha, I know! Minox!
    Apparently you don't like film that much if you haven' t tried them ALL...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Benno!!

Holy smokes! Got enough cameras????? haha I have a hard enough time with only two! haha

Your website photos are beautiful. I love the bridge (Man v Nature 1) and the large water tank (Aqua Pure 2). Beautiful!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=BWGirl]Welcome to APUG, Benno!!

Holy smokes! Got enough cameras????? haha I have a hard enough time with only two! haha

QUOTE]

Yeah, well I didn't get around to mentioning the manual Nikon collection (F w/Ftn meter, F3HP, assorted lenses from 12mm - 1000mm), the Rollei collection (35S, 2 SL35E's, a broken SL35ME, lenses from 15mm - 200mm), a Bessamatic with almost all the lenses that were made for it, several fixed-lens Yashica and Canon rangefinders, a Canon 7s RF with a few LTM lenses, a couple of Russian LTM bodies, a Kiev 4AM with a range of lenses, a Cosina Bessa in Contax RF mount, 30-odd folding MF cameras (lots of Agfa/Anscos, an Ikonta, a few misc Japanese makes), 4 TLRs (Seagull, Yashica 124G, Rolleicord, Ikoflex), Kiev/Pentacon collection (Pentacon body & Kiev88CM body with lenses from 30mm - 300mm), a Mamiya Super 23 with several 6x9 and 6x7 backs and a multi-format 6x4.5-6x7 back, lenses from 65mm - 200mm, a Diana, 2 Holgas (one with a Polaroid back), a Fuji 645 rangefinder, a Polaroid SX-70... my memory is going blank... there are probably more...

As you can see I have a problem... ;-) I'm actually starting to sell off most of the MF gear (I sold a beautiful Rolleiflex SL66E recently). I'll trim it down to the Kiev and the plastic cameras, probably one of the TLR's and a couple of the folding cameras just for fun. I'm planning on concentrating on LF and ULF in the future (but you never know what ideas might pop up).
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin