Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,996   Online: 901

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    "After seeing an exhibition of her exhibition prints for the first time yesterday"

Where was that? thanks
    Auckland Art Gallery - the "New Gallery" that is. Part of the "Mixed Up Childhood" exhibition (not one for the kids).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    (not one for the kids).
    how so? what was it like? i'm so jealous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Talia!
    Ah yes... another woman into the fold! It's a good thing! I'm west of Milwaukee. I do have a brother in Ft. Wayne.

So....welcome to APUG!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Evgeny!
    This is a great place to get to know many people around the world...people who like cameras & film in particular.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by masochistic_me
    how so? what was it like? i'm so jealous.
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The exhibition overall is thought-provoking. When I went, there were few other people and so could spend some time viewing very large prints without being disturbed.

Usually I've found Sally Mann's images give me an uncomfortable feeling. No doubt because the upbringing of her children is so different from what most think of as normal. But also because, with the use of props that are associated with adults (like the cigarettes, pushchair, sunglasses etc) and the adult poses, kind of provoke thoughts of a disturbing future for them.
    But seeing Mann's photographs in the context of the exhibition brought out a particularly uneasy theme. The other 20 or so artists had their own ideas of abnormal and disturbing childhoods.
    There was a Dutch duo called Lamswerde and Matedin (sp) who put leering male mouths seemlessly on tiny young girls. But it wasn't obvious at first, you just kind of had this uneasy feeling about them.

Many of the images seemed to force you to take the position of voyeur. I didn't enjoy it, but I'll go back again to view Mann's images. Out of context, (and from a photographer's analytical viewpoint) they've got a quality that I have to admit I wasn't really expecting.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell a lot but here's a link [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#800080]Mixed Up Childhood Exhb - Auckland Art Gallery[/color][/size][/font]

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Talia

Welcome! I can relate, too, to your hesitation in calling yourself a photographer. Diving into it myself and it can all be a bit overwhelming: so much to know! But, this site is a wonderful place to get lots of support and sage-like advice on all the different aspects of traditional photography.

Recently read a biography on Diane Arbus during the hurricane season (I'm in Florida). Found it impossible to put down! Which was a good thing, because I couldn't leave the house! Didn't look at a single photo of hers until I was about half way through.

Again, welcome.

Lisa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by masochistic_me

i'm talia, nice to meet you
    Hello Talia, what a lovely name.

Greetings from Glenn in Sydney, very pleased to have you on APUG. Enjoy your time here!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Masochistic_me. Can you beat that? Welcome.
    Hey Claire, I hear you have a 400 lb tripod for a 35mm camera. Maybe that beats Talia? Wanna share a pic of your 35mm sitting on top of the mammoth?

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gender?

Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Evgeny, please forgive me for my ignorance of Russian name genders. I find Russian names of both genders to be very beautiful, and perhaps for that reason I too often assume them to be feminine, so I've just stopped guessing.
    Jay
    I have a friend called Jae who is a georgeous female. You never can tell...

Glenn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin