Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,251   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Greetings from the Unreal OC

Hello to all who come here to discuss their silver addictions. I've been 12-stepping myself away from digital the last two years.

I work as a facilities engineering manager to support my addiction. The stress drives me to my Tachihara, causes me to wrestle with the demon of the RB67. I reminisce with the venerable Rolleiflex T. I've spent many a dark and stormy night roaming and lurking e-bay for old Omega DII enlargers, print dryers, dry mount presses. Now they sit in grand disarray in my studio.

What has my life come to? It's come to quiet, contemplative times with myself. It's come to a growing sense of composition, light and shadow, form and flow and feeling. It's come to the great and simple joy of only making two exposure some days - and getting that same high when the 4X5 negatives come out of the tank and I can hardly wait for them to dry so that I can make prints.

I have lurked here and at photo.net and largeformatphotography.net for a long time. No more! I admit it! I can't seem to find and know enough. No longer will I hide my D-76, and Dektol and odorless fixer containers in the closet, behind the old camping gear!

It's getting worse. I no longer hear the unkind jibes of "Hey, look at that old antique camera that guy's using!" I just smile to myself under the darkcloth. I have learned to patiently explain that the RB67 is NOT a movie camera. And yes, I assure people, you can still readily buy film to go in the old Rolleiflex.

But, there is hope my fellow addicts. More and more young people want to know why. What are the results? Is THIS how those really cool black and white photographs at the fair and galleries and museums get made? Ah, evil one that I am - I have lured them into the dark(room) trap of silver gelatin.

Good. There's hope. There is still the creative and driven heart that has no interest in being technologically correct. The art is alive and the next generation, in it's yearning to reject and not conform, will find this out of their rebellion.

Wayne Olson

Images
    Welcome Wayne.
    I agree. The major problem with digital for me is just that it isn't analog. I like Film, I like the equipment and I like spending evenings in the darkroom. Pointing a digicam at something and pushing the button a hundred times has nothing to do with the joy that I get from the photographic craft.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome - from 20 minutes north of you.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from a former resident of Via Del Parque just off Weir Canyon.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hola from Irvine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hail and well met from Sydney Australia. (APUG evening shift)

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings from Cincinnati by way of Huntington Beach. By the way, there are many more dark and stormy nights here in the midwest than back in OC. I hope to see some of my old haunts show up in your gallery.

Sean Maher

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Greetings from Yorba Linda too.
    A huge problem when out with my 11x14 camera (recently at Joshua Tree); a continuous stream of people along the trail stopping; what is that? Is that a camera? Does it take pictures? Best of all- Do you know that tree is dead? They wore me out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Z.
    A huge problem when out with my 11x14 camera (recently at Joshua Tree);
    Wow! Great place. I'll have to take the kids back ot Joshua Tree. I liked hiking but I can't see me doing it with an LF and 2 kids around

I thought carrying my Holga was heavy after a mile hike.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Z.
    A huge problem when out with my 11x14 camera (recently at Joshua Tree); a continuous stream of people along the trail stopping; what is that? Is that a camera? Does it take pictures? Best of all- Do you know that tree is dead? They wore me out!
    LOL! I get those sorts of comments when I'm out with my 8x10 too!
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin