Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,794   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    I nearly wept when they closed it. Imagine: walking into a camera store and buying 8 x 10 sheet film. Color 8 x 10 sheet film even. Those were the days.

Penn's E Street store was also within walking distance of the National Portrait Gallery, my favorite museum in the world. When they shut that place down in 2000 for a two year renovation (hah! - it still hasn't reopened) they broke my heart. I haven't been down there since.

Umm, you do know that Penn has a store within a block of the old one right? The old building was really getting bad, so they moved. None of the Penns stock 8x10 any more, just isn't enough demand for it any more, but there is still a decent amount of 4x5 in all the locations.

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    Umm, you do know that Penn has a store within a block of the old one right? The old building was really getting bad, so they moved. None of the Penns stock 8x10 any more, just isn't enough demand for it any more, but there is still a decent amount of 4x5 in all the locations.

Isaac
    A pale, pathetic shadow of the old E street store. No storefront window full of yummy used equipment, no large format pro section like they had in the back at E street. A glorified Ritz Camera now.

I buy all my 4x5 400TMax at the Rockville location. I'd get 8 x 10 there too if they carried it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ummm... don't know much about Penn but I do know that Va is an incredibly lovely state (I just enjoyed a mountainous weekend there) and wish you a fine visit here to APUG from one of the flatter statesmen.

-Brad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

sign of the times

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    A pale, pathetic shadow of the old E street store. No storefront window full of yummy used equipment, no large format pro section like they had in the back at E street. A glorified Ritz Camera now.

I buy all my 4x5 400TMax at the Rockville location. I'd get 8 x 10 there too if they carried it.

Sadly, the amount of used equipment being bought and sold has gone way down, there is so much film equipment on the market that the value has plummeted. Very few people are interested in selling their cameras for so little, ebay is the choice for people getting rid of equipment these days. As far as a "pro" large format section goes, it went with the sales. LF simply isn't a big enough market for the stores to stock expensive inventory. Things are much different nowadays even compared to 3 years ago, let alone 5 or 10. Gotta change with the times if you want to stay in business..

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    Sadly, the amount of used equipment being bought and sold has gone way down, there is so much film equipment on the market that the value has plummeted. Very few people are interested in selling their cameras for so little, ebay is the choice for people getting rid of equipment these days. As far as a "pro" large format section goes, it went with the sales. LF simply isn't a big enough market for the stores to stock expensive inventory. Things are much different nowadays even compared to 3 years ago, let alone 5 or 10. Gotta change with the times if you want to stay in business..

Isaac
    I'm not faulting Penn for anything. I know why things are different. I admire them for adapting so well. It's just sad to see, that's all.

There's still a lot of good used stuff in all kinds of formats at Pro Photo on I St.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks for the intro Isaac and have a nice trip.....hope you can keep in touch with APUG while in Egypt....I am one of the envious ones, but have not had the priviledge of living in Egypt....I have been to Cairo, Illinois and the area they call Little Egypt in S Illinois....lovely but not the same ambiance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin