Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,662   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hello from Northern Virginia!

I have been posting for a while, but I have never formally introduced myself to the APUG community. I live and work in the Northern Va. area, the subarbs of Washington DC. I received my B.F.A. in film, photography, and visual arts from Ithaca college in 1994. I have worked at Penn Camera as a salesman for 8 years and I have just started teaching photography at the parks and rec. of Fairfax (club run if anyone is interested).

Unfortunetly, I have very little time for photography these days, my work and other hobbies are currently taking up all of my time. I still discuss and demonstrate photography every working day however, so it's never out of mind for long:-) I like to think of myself as a multiformat photographer because I own 35mm, 4x5, and 5x7 equipment. In reality, when I have shot in recent times, it has been 35mm.

I am planning on moving to Cairo Egypt next fall to begin an intensive study of arabic. With any luck the trip will allow me to really flex my photo muscles. I am really looking forward to that adventure.

I am commited to analog capturing of my images for the time being. Certainly for black and white work I will remain all analog. I do use digital printing and editing for my color work. I find that I have more control and get more consistant results from lightjet and photoshop than I did in my color darkroom days. I have yet to see any digital black and white that I thought was worth the trouble. Same goes for inkjet printing... I'm hoping that my audio fever will calm down enough for me to get back into the groove with photography, we'll have to see...

When I do shoot, I use a Leica M6 with a smattering of lenses, a Horseman LE with a Sinar shutter (for barrel lenses) and both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, and a 5x7 Gandolfi traditional field camera with several Scneider lenses. I have found this site to be mostly a helpful place and I have enjoyed most of the interactions I've had on here. Here's to many more!

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from a former denizen of the Washington burbs. I know Penn Camera well! I escaped about eight years ago, and found that there, is indeed, intelligent life beyond the beltway!

Enjoy APUG!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello from Manassas!

Which Penn? I frequently go to the one over at Tysons.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work at the one in Springfield, it's quite a bit smaller than the one at tyson's, but we manage to keep a decent supply of paper and chemicals regardless. I often wonder if there's any intelligent life inside the beltway...

Isaac
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How I loved the Penn's downtown by the FBI building! Now that's a proper camera store -- lots of everything, including rentals. Glad to hear you're going to Cairo -- I started up the photo program at the American University in Cairo some 15 years ago and it was still going strong two years ago when I went back to visit. Did the darkroom, too -- all Zone VI gear, Beseler 4x5 enlargers, etc. Go and meet the head of the journalism school, Dr. Hussein Amin. Great guy, Illinois grad, and a devotee of photography and visual communications. There's also a nice photo gallery at the Adham TV Center called "Sony Gallery" (guess who sponsored that one!).

All in all, Egypt is absolutely wonderful and one of the most photogenic places on earth. The people are nice, the life is exciting, and the photo ops endless. I just moved out of Alexandria (VA, that is, no Egypt!) myself so I envy your move back to the Middle East.

Enjoy your studies and all the best in your work!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan
    All in all, Egypt is absolutely wonderful and one of the most photogenic places on earth. The people are nice, the life is exciting, and the photo ops endless. I just moved out of Alexandria (VA, that is, no Egypt!) myself so I envy your move back to the Middle East.

Enjoy your studies and all the best in your work!
    It's funny, everyone that hasn't gone to Egypt thinks I'm nuts for going while everyone that has been says they're jealous and wish they could go back. I hope that this trip will be a springboard artistically, professionally, culturally, and maybe even spiritually... Can't wait....

Isaac
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    How nice to have you here. I am confused. I have heard of Virginia, I have heard of West Virginia. Northern Virginia???...Is that Virginia that is midly being corrupted with the closer proximity of yankees?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    How nice to have you here. I am confused. I have heard of Virginia, I have heard of West Virginia. Northern Virginia???...Is that Virginia that is midly being corrupted with the closer proximity of yankees?
    Yes.

In all seriousness, it's the area around DC. If I had to give it a geographic boundary, I'd say it's any part of Va that's within an hour of DC (without trafffic). That means as far west as Gainesville and as far south as Fredericksburg, IMO.

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan
    How I loved the Penn's downtown by the FBI building! Now that's a proper camera store --
    I nearly wept when they closed it. Imagine: walking into a camera store and buying 8 x 10 sheet film. Color 8 x 10 sheet film even. Those were the days.

Penn's E Street store was also within walking distance of the National Portrait Gallery, my favorite museum in the world. When they shut that place down in 2000 for a two year renovation (hah! - it still hasn't reopened) they broke my heart. I haven't been down there since.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    Yes.

In all seriousness, it's the area around DC. If I had to give it a geographic boundary, I'd say it's any part of Va that's within an hour of DC (without trafffic). That means as far west as Gainesville and as far south as Fredericksburg, IMO.

Chris
    The metro area seems to be going a little farther than Gainesville to the west. I know people who commute every day from Front Royal into Tysons. You can get a house out there for about half of what you'd pay even in Manassas. And Fredericksburg has just exploded with development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin