Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,861   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Hello from Sussex

I've lurked here in APUG for a while, but now I think it's time to introduce myself properly.

I live in Sussex (UK) and have a day job in IT. I've taken photos since I was a child, but I've only taken photography seriously for about three years.

Three events stand out in my mind as photographic watersheds for me:

The first was reading The Camera by Ansel Adams. I suddenly realised that I didn't need all the super duper automation that my SLR had if only I learned to control the camera. So I slowed down and took control. Then I bought a medium format camera (and slowed down some more) followed by a large format camera (and slowed down even more). At each step my photos improved.

My second watershed was finding a copy of Lenswork in Borders. This wonderful publication opened my eyes to a whole new world. I had never really thought of photography as an art form - it was more a way of creating nice pictures than creating art. I changed direction and started to look for images that were important to me rather than just pretty. And my photos improved.

My third watershed was finding APUG. I had settled into a hybrid way of working that used analogue capture and digital post-production. Like most hybrids this was full of compromises: for example, when I scanned a transparency I lost sharpness, detail, and colour rendition while gaining noise, dust and megabytes. But with loads of effort in Photoshop I was usually able to recover something that looked pretty good. Even then I wasn't really satisfied with the quality of my final prints though. APUG, this thoughtful, knowledgeable, and passionate community, inspired me to put aside my Epson and try to work with wet chemistry only. I have dabbled with platinum/palladium printing, and last week I created my first prints with an enlarger. Although my printing technique is pretty basic, this is undoubtedly the most satisfying work I have ever created.

I don't know where photography will take me next, but I know it will involve lots of learning, some unexpected suprises, hopefully a modicum of creativity, and maybe even some photos that I'm really proud of.

So thanks to everyone in APUG who unwittingly helped me on my way, and hopefully I'll contribute back as much as I gain here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome... beware if many here have their way, you will move on to 7x17 and slow down to continental drift speed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ian, welcome from Hawaii!! Good to have another member from the UK on board. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Ian!
    Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing some of your images too.
    Diane

Halak 41

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Ian, hope you enjoy the forum.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Enjoy the journey.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome Ian,

from the wild west and scorching heat of the Nevada desert
    .....hope you like it here....I do!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    welcome Ian from just around the coast in Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian

Welcome from the Norfolk contingent

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And howdy doody from Middlesex (which doesn't really exist anymore, having been eaten by London)... Looks like you went from a standing start to some of the more difficult Alt-Proc processes in short order.... I'm still trying to figure out, after 2 years, how to expose a 4x5 sheet of film without making one of the 294 different mistakes available to me...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin