Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,520   Online: 841

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is that seat taken?

As I have posted here a few times I guess it's time to introduce myself. I apologize for the breach of etiquette.

Others here have spoken fondly of photography as a "curse" or "affliction", and I must admit that's true! My disease began at around age 8, probably transmitted from a kindly neighbor who let me use his darkroom and didn't get mad even when I opened a fresh box of his 8x10 paper with the lights on!

My first camera was a Zeiss Ikon Contina, purchased for $7 used. No rangefinder, meter nonfunctional, sharpest lens I've ever used. Sadly, this little gem also imparted to me my first physics lesson: camera + gravity + concrete + 8 yr old clumsiness = traumatic camera disassembly. I was heartbroken. Nevertheless, I kept taking pictures with anything I could find; the disease smoldered, relapsing and remitting, but never cured.

Everyone knows that you can't make a living as a photographer (g), so I wound up in medicine, where you can make a very good living at a high cost to the soul. Just when I thought I'd completely shaken the silver intoxication, it returned. I have simply given up fighting it these last few years.

I have tried all the remedies--Hanimex, Nikon, Kowa, Pearl River (!), Sinar, Contax 645, even--gasp!--D70. The film cameras get the most use. Must be the masochist in me. Even dusted off my F3, which I came within a hair's breadth of selling on eBay for a pittance. Back from the brink--the doc shakes his head and tosses the bullet into the pan like Doc on "Gunsmoke", the patient lives.

Thanks for indulging this rambling intro. If you want to check out a sample of what I've done, click here. Looking forward to getting to know you all here.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, salvation is at hand.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Michael. Some very good pictures there!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As you know, a correct diagnosis is key.

Silver poisoning.

Excellent pictures BTW.

Welcome to APUG.

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Michael! I love your picture titled: galvanized II, Goshen, KY february 2005 How cool!
    Don't fight the addiction! It's good to be on 'the dark side'.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Dr. Mike. So long as you leave the safelight on the prognosis for your addiction is good.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    35mm

If not now, when?

So have I joined a legion of dinosaurs intent on avoiding possibly the biggest technological advance of this century (the "1"s and "0"s we even now communicate with); or are we all just too stubborn and obstinate to change? Ah, well it's never that black or white is it? I myself had a formal education in photography, Syracuse University, only to end up shooting television news for 17 years. When I had enough of that I became a cook. I would pick up my camera every so often, take a few rolls, and put it down again. For years I shunned photography, ashamed at not concentrating on something I truly loved. A few years ago I started again and have somehow committed myself to this solitary endeavor. To that end when my wife and I bought a new house I immediately announced that the attic room was my darkroom. Another month or two, once I find the money, and it will be finished.
    I find myself in the odd position of a photographer with hundreds of negatives that have never been printed. Color yes, but the b&w's I would never trust anyone to get them right. I continue to shoot but look forward to the feedback from seeing these prints come to life. I'll get there.
    For me a darkroom has haunted my thoughts for years and inspite of the revelation several years ago that it was becoming obsolete, I will persist. But I might get a scanner for the color negs...go figure.
    I always wanted a shirt that said "Silver Addict"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Michael from Hawaii. I hope you enjoy being here, there is a great bunch of people here.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Michael

Galvanized III and Morning mist II illustrate to me that you appreciate the simplistic beauty of light playing on B&W. Lovely images...

And you have a sense of humor... How wonderful!

A photography professor of mine once said that photography is worse than a heroin (sp?) addiction; Come to find out, she was right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Michael, my story is very similar, I hope you enjoy Apug as much as I do. Best wishes from England.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin