Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,079   Online: 1136

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good to see you around Lex. Welcome!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome another fellow from Fort Worth.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome Lex. I used to know a hot rod dragster "Grumpy" Jenkins - won many prizes. Too old to be you though. Looking foward to seeing your work

dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looking forward to your work, This is a great place to hang out. Welcome
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Lex,

Good to see you and have you aboard. I have found this a friendly and fun place to hang out. Hope that you will find the same.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Hello everyone. My name is Guy and I live in Central NJ. I've been taking (amateur) photos for quite some time and now I am looking to increase my abilities as I have discovered that this is one passion of mine that simply will not go away. I would like to start from the beginning with photography and I hope that this site will help me do that.

HoyStidd

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoystidd
    ...this is one passion of mine that simply will not go away. ...
    You're in good company here, Guy! In my case, "quite some time" is now about 35 years, and there's no sign of the passion going away.

I'd advise you to avoid learning too much about the beginning of photography. Its followers tend to spend a lot of time in the dark breathing noxious fumes . Much of the time I've been moving backwards through the history of photography - while I don't make my own film, I have no aversions to coating my own paper... Besides, a top-of-range lens made in 1923 is a lot cheaper than a top-of-the-range lens from 2003!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote:-
    I would like to start from the beginning with photography

Hi Guy, welcome. You have joined an interesting and informative site. Not sure what you mean in the quote. Do you mean early processes or the technicalities of modern day film processing etc.? Whichever it is, there are many on site able to help with both.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoystidd
    Hello everyone. My name is Guy and I live in Central NJ. I've been taking (amateur) photos for quite some time and now I am looking to increase my abilities as I have discovered that this is one passion of mine that simply will not go away. I would like to start from the beginning with photography and I hope that this site will help me do that.
    HoyStidd
    Hello, Guy, and welcome.

It's interesting that you should mention that you would like to "start from the beginning".

I don't like to separate things, to me, the complex activity of art-photography IS one whole: BUT ... for once, I am going to, in an effort to explain my "mind-set".

I would not, especially, like to start over in learning the basic "technicalities" of it all. Some of the lessons came with difficulty, although they WERE invariably accompanied by great flashes of elation upon finally "figuring it out". Would I do that again? Oh, yeah, no question - but I don't think it would be possible - it would be like learning that two and two equal four again.
    That applies to the "basics". Refinement continues forever.

The "non-technical" part - the "soul-being-human involvement" part - that I try to start over each and every day. Again, I don't think that is 100% possible either - but the idea is to try - try to wipe that blackboard clean, dump the pre-sets from the last day, or couple of days - and start FRESH.

In that way, photography (and ALL art) is self-refreshing. I don't have to beat myself into doing it. Every day presents new discoveries, new insights into ... ME ... and the glorious gift we all share - called "The World". '
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes!!

I apologize for the confusion on the statement made regarding starting from the beginning. Here is what I meant from the statement.

Basically, I would like to learn about everything from the camera to lighting to films to shutter speed. As well as everything in between. This is what I mean about starting from the beginning. I think that everything that comes after what was mentioned (or besides what was mentioned) is what comes from the heart and soul. I need to go back and learn the actual "technical" end of things to better improve the ability that my heart and sould have.... I hope this explains....

Thanks again for the warm welcomes....

Guy

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin