Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,082   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

A newbie from the So. Suburbs of Chicago

Hello All,

I've been browsing around here for a couple of weeks now and figured I'd come out of the shadows and introduce myself.

I'm in the scrap metal business and reside in a suburb southwest of Chicago with my wife and daughter. After an endless search for a site that is devoted to film photography I finally stumbled on to this site and am glad I did.

I consider myself new to photography although I did purchase a 35mm camera quite a few years ago and started snapping away. I had some success in my eye and others, and enjoyed it however, never really delved deeply into it. Having my time occupied by work and not much else I stopped.

Now, with my job not being as demanding I wanted to pursue photography again as hobby. I have always admired and appreciated the eye and skill of an accomplished photographer, and now would like to give it a go myself.

I've enjoyed reading what has been posted here and am inspired by some of the great work posted in the galleries. I am certain I will learn alot from the members and the content here.

Years ago when I purchased my 35mm camera I initially wanted to start in medium format but did not. Upon deciding to take up photography again I did end up purchasing a Mamiya 645, although I will say that I can see myself ending up with a Hasselblad due to the weight. I wish I would have done a little more homework before jumping in. Man, between camera a few lenses and an extra back and tripod that's a bit of weight to lug around!

Anyway...hello again and I look forward to learning and communing here at Apug.

And now a story that you can either relate to or be amused by: A few weeks ago I headed to Starved Rock State Park. I shot some pictures with some color slide film and switched to the back containing black and white film. I was really looking forward to shooting in black and white. I meticulously took my readings with my light meter and was confident I had some decent images. As I was putting the other back on the camera it dawned on me that I never changed the light meter to 400 iso from 100 iso. And so goes one of my first of many lessons in this wonderfully frustrating and rewarding endeavor.

Oh..and why portlvr for a screen name: how I love a glass of a good 20 year tawny port.

Cheers Neil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome!

Whereabouts is home, Neil? I went to Homewood/Flossmoor for a couple of years.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to the club, Neal! You're gonna like it here.
    As my little id thing over there to the left says- I'm in Evergreen Park.

Cheers-

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Neil,

Welcome to APUG - glad you joined us.

A lot of us here who started with 35mm years ago have now begun including MF. Someone has to buy all this unwanted MF gear out there!

I have a Hassey 503cw up in Copake (120 miles north of NYC) and a Bronica ETRSi out in Tucson.

Now thinking of a TLR too.

And let's not go into 35mm gear (OMG!).

Yet, believe it or not, I do not think of myself as a "gear head". Just a fellow taking advantage of the opportunity to "indulge".

Oh, BTW, beware of the LF and ULF folk here. If they latch on to you, you're a gonner....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Neil. You've got a long way to go to catch up with some of us in the stoopid mistake department! :o
    And a light weight 4x4 set up weighs less than some MF systems.
    Have fun visiting APUG.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format

Home is...

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Welcome!

Whereabouts is home, Neil? I went to Homewood/Flossmoor for a couple of years.
    Home is Orland Park...not all too far from the Homewood/Flossmoor area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from a former Kankakeean and Illinois State grad.
    I also visited Starved Rock once...way back.
    Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Neil, from Morris.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    Welcome from a former Kankakeean and Illinois State grad.
    I also visited Starved Rock once...way back.
    Matt
    When I went to HF I lived in Grant Park in northern Kankakee county.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    When I went to HF I lived in Grant Park in northern Kankakee county.
    Just a hop, skip, and a jump from K3
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin