Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 666

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome! A fellow flatlander here (from Saskatchewan - one province west of Manitoba, for those of you reading who didn't know that).

I just got into large format last year... there is a learning curve. Wow, though... it is fun.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Welcome! A fellow flatlander here (from Saskatchewan - one province west of Manitoba, for those of you reading who didn't know that).

I just got into large format last year... there is a learning curve. Wow, though... it is fun.
    Howdy Jim! Apparantly there is a big-ish photo flea market in Montreal coming up soon....any ideas on some beginner friendly LF cameras to keep an eye out for? Learning is fun....

Kathy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Kathy,

A belated welcome from the ORIGINAL Cajun country, where the French settlers came from (near Loudun). I live about 15km from the Maison Acadienne...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to have you aboard! I spent the first 16 years of my life in the Red River Valley south of you in Grand Forks, ND and still have lots of family out there and reasons to visit. There's lots of sky in the pictures out there!
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Kathy,

A belated welcome from the ORIGINAL Cajun country, where the French settlers came from (near Loudun). I live about 15km from the Maison Acadienne...

Cheers,

R.
    Roger,

Just to note, the Cajuns are in Louisiana and are descendants of the forcefully-displaced Acadiennes (note "word corruption" to Cajun) who had originally settled in what is now Nova Scotia along what is often referred to as the Evangeline* Coast.

Except as fellow Francophonies, the Acadiennes have no direct link with the original French settlers of either Montreal or the Province of Quebec.

Oh, and the term "Canada" is not a derivative of "Acadienne".

*see: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Evangeline for the poinant story of the ethnic cleansing committed by the British against the Acadiennes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bloody effing ignorant americans!!! (joking around) Yes, yes... and France is an american invention, too! unbelievable. Actually - the people who originally settled in louisiana came from france VIA canada. Same culture. Exactly. In fact - the school boards of louisiana hire Québecois to come down and teach the current generation of kids the very same dialect of French that their dying grandparents couldn't pass on for whatever reason - in an attempt to save the culture. Granted, it's been 360-something years since the settlement of Québec and Mtl - and since then the settlement of Louisiana - and, of course, cultures and languages change over time... but let's not forget our roots!!

Another uncomfortable fact: Wanna hazard a guess as to why the WHITE HOUSE is white???

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Roger,

Just to note, the Cajuns are in Louisiana and are descendants of the forcefully-displaced Acadiennes (note "word corruption" to Cajun) who had originally settled in what is now Nova Scotia along what is often referred to as the Evangeline* Coast.

Except as fellow Francophonies, the Acadiennes have no direct link with the original French settlers of either Montreal or the Province of Quebec.

Oh, and the term "Canada" is not a derivative of "Acadienne".

*see: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Evangeline for the poinant story of the ethnic cleansing committed by the British against the Acadiennes

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    bloody effing ignorant americans!!! (joking around) Yes, yes... and France is an american invention, too! unbelievable. Actually - the people who originally settled in louisiana came from france VIA canada. Same culture. Exactly. In fact - the school boards of louisiana hire Québecois to come down and teach the current generation of kids the very same dialect of French that their dying grandparents couldn't pass on for whatever reason - in an attempt to save the culture. Granted, it's been 360-something years since the settlement of Québec and Mtl - and since then the settlement of Louisiana - and, of course, cultures and languages change over time... but let's not forget our roots!!

Another uncomfortable fact: Wanna hazard a guess as to why the WHITE HOUSE is white???
    Sparky,

The original European settlers to Louisiana were NOT the Acadiennes. But the Acadiennes were exiled there after the defeat of France in 1763. They were exiled to Louisiana under horrible conditions such that many (most?) perished. And Acadia, which then became known as Nova Scotia, was surrendered to the British.

The simple fact is - the original French settlement of Acadia (Acadienne) was a separate colonial migration from that of Quebec. There was never any direct social/political or economic interaction b/w Quebec and Acadia.

So for Roger to equate someone in Montreal as being Cajun/Acadienne etc. is simply wrong. No surprise there. And, this is beside the fact that our new member is actually an Anglophone from Winnepeg now living in Montreal!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just found something in the very link that I'd posted...

"In 1762 New Orleans citizens suddenly found themselves subjects of Charles III of Spain; France's Louis XV had paid a debt to his Spanish cousin by giving away Louisiana. The thoroughly French colony drove out the Spanish commissioner sent to govern them. In the summer of 1763, 22 Spanish warships and 3,000 troops arrived to restore order and install another governor, this time without provoking open opposition. Descendants of these early French-Spanish colonial times are known as Creoles. French-speaking families also began emigrating from Canada's maritime region, Acadia—now Nova Scotia and New Brunswick—to flee British occupation. Referred to as Acadians, and eventually Cajuns, they found sanctuary in New Orleans and in the bayous of the wide Mississippi Delta not far from the city."

Apologies, then. I suppose this jives with what you were saying...! Strange about the quebecois program in LA then... I guess it's just a result of superficial similarity...

happy to admit to being wrong...
    Last edited by Sparky; 04-14-2007 at 03:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear George,

I made the mistake of looking at your other post, as well as the one that was quoted, and was immediately reminded yet again why you are on my ignore list. You took a lighthearted remark and turned it into a personal attack. Why do you do this?

As this region (pays Loudunais) is where the Acadiennes came from, that looks like a fairly direct link to Francophone Canada to me: a mildly interesting or amusing aside, no more, given that the OP said 'bonjour'.

Nor had I heard of any suggestion that Canada did derive from Acadienne, but this is one of your standard tricks: to present a straw man as if the other person had brought the subject up. This technique reached its nadir when you used quotation marks "for emphasis" when you were arguing with someone else. These were your own words, if I recall correctly, so at least I am using quotation marks correctly.

Has it ever occurred to you that your constant attempts to look clever are rarely successful, and are usually rude and unpleasant as well?

R.
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 04-14-2007 at 05:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin