Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,117   Online: 948

Shooter
    35mm

hello from Roswell, GA

Hi everyone,

I am primarily a digital photographer and, therefore, I'm sure my equipment is of little importance in these forums; nevertheless, I've joined in hopes that I might:

1) learn more about large format, specifically
    2) find large format photographers and courses in my area
    3) supplement my growing list of online resources to include more non-digital (I have a hard time referring to it as analog, for some reason) repositories.

I'm a native of Georgia, although I've lived all over the US. I spent all of my formative years and college here (Georgia Tech) and then spent time in New England, Midwest, Southwest, West Coast and Mid-south. Now, I'm back home.

I have a growing interest in large format photography that i just can't shake (and don't want to). Unfortunately, I cannot afford a significant investment in equipment. Are there any LF photographers in my area and, if so, do any of you have any good suggestions for:

1) Hands on educational resources for LF.
    2) Labs in the Roswell, GA area where they process 4x5 (I want to start by simply learning how to use the camera, then, later, move into processing film, myself).

Many thanks,
    ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Welcome

Ben-welcome to this site on behalf of all the APUG'ers!! Just having the interest is good enough to be here. You will find what you are looking for. If you happen to be anywhere near south Florida or Ct. at anytime in the future give me a PM.
    Always willing to satisfy someones curiosity. Sure wish I had this resource when I started using a 5x7 camera 35 years ago....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ben,

Welcome to APUG from NYC.

As you surmised, this is a traditional photography site. However, if your interest in LF includes elements of both traditional and digital work - you might want to check out APUG's sister site: hybridphoto.com

Caution: If you stay here we can and will turn you into a film photographer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben-Welcome neighbor! I shoot large format and process my own. I'd be glad to let you have some hands on experience with some of my old gear. I've got more than a few irons in the fire right now but PM me sometime and we can work out a time to meet an talk shop.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

Peter - I sure wish I could get back to CT more often. Sadly, the last time I was there was 9/11/2001. I had flown to NYC on business and arrived the previous night. Thankfully, I was pretty far from ground zero so I wasn't immediately impacted. Anyway - after spending two days in the city, I was finally able to take the Metro North to Stamford, where I rented a car and drove to stay with friends in North Guilford. I haven't made it back since, so my last memory of time spent in CT is quite surreal. One of these days, I'll get back there. It's still my favorite of all the places I have lived (I lived in New Haven and Madison, while I was there).

George - I'm seeking this purely from a film perspective. Admittedly, I shoot digital (Nikon SLR) and have learned most of my photographic skills through that medium. I can't help, however, wanting to learn this hobby from the roots up and I have what my wife thinks is a slightly unhealthy obsession with old, wooden view cameras (even though I own no equipment). I'm a purist, at heart, but so far not in practice.

Gary - MANY, MANY thanks. I hope that I'm actually able to take you up on your offer. I, too, have quite a few irons in the fire - most of them related to new babies and software design (my career). Regardless, I'll make sure to follow up occasionally with a PM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, from the other side of the continent, on the Pacific, in Canada.

I have 40+ years on the analogue side of the question, but understand (somewhat) where you are coming from, because I want to get those benefits from the digital side of the question (scanning, plus digital distribution of a facsimile of my work) that are available to me.

Isn't life-long learning fun - although I think the learning you have in your future may be more fun.

Have fun here - and recruit more!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Jacksonville, Florida. I lived in Roswell through the 70s. It was a nice, small town then. You've reminded me that I need to print some of my photographs from that period.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard. I'm in Alpharetta, though shooting 6x9 - also with the interest in moving to LF. I don't have a enlarger to accomodate 4x5 however, so I'm looking at a reducing back. Need to save some $ for the time being. Gary, myself and some of the other regional APUGGERS get together a few times a year in the great outdoors, and we're overdue. We'll be sure to be in touch when the next one is getting organized. Keep an eye on the Regional (Southeast) Forum.
    "OK, I'll tell you... but I'm not gonna listen!"

- my 5 y.o. son

My Flickr Photo's

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the group. You might check out the regional groups. An easy way to find local photographers.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin