Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,491   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 773

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the group. We hope you'll enjoy your stay.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome from the other Washington in the Pacific North West!
    It is easier to gain enlightenment than to explain enlightenment.
    Supreme Master Ching Hai

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Canada
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Greetings from Central Virginia

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome from England.
    BTW, I hope to visit Virginia soon as my sister has recently moved there. Any landscape location tips? :-)
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The James River

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Landscapes in Virigina

Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    Welcome from England.
    BTW, I hope to visit Virginia soon as my sister has recently moved there. Any landscape location tips? :-)
    Tim
    Tim,

I live in the greater suburbs of Washington, D.C. and there are not a lot of landscape opportunities nearby except for housing developments and golf courses. The Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway run the length of the Shenandoah mountains and provide some of the best opportunities for large vistas (there are even parking areas at 'scenic' overlooks). Virginia is very forested an crowded with trees and it is difficult to find open space that lends itself to good landscape photos (the trees get in the way). The open farmland in northern VA is a possible candidate as are the smaller towns that are found on the back roads. You pretty much have to be adventurous and wander the back roads hoping that you will stumble upon something photo worthy.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfyfe View Post
    Tim,

I live in the greater suburbs of Washington, D.C. and there are not a lot of landscape opportunities nearby except for housing developments and golf courses. The Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway run the length of the Shenandoah mountains and provide some of the best opportunities for large vistas (there are even parking areas at 'scenic' overlooks). Virginia is very forested an crowded with trees and it is difficult to find open space that lends itself to good landscape photos (the trees get in the way). The open farmland in northern VA is a possible candidate as are the smaller towns that are found on the back roads. You pretty much have to be adventurous and wander the back roads hoping that you will stumble upon something photo worthy.

John
    Thanks John,
    My sister is somewhat in the sticks from what I gather, so that is where I would start. Trees are just fine with me! My preference indeed to the Grand Vista. I am thinking of making my way from there up the Appalachian mountains (I have read Bill Bryson!) and on maybe to Maine.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks John,
    My sister is somewhat in the sticks from what I gather, so that is where I would start. Trees are just fine with me! My preference indeed to the Grand Vista. I am thinking of making my way from there up the Appalachian mountains (I have read Bill Bryson!) and on maybe to Maine.
    Tim

If you get to the Northern Virginia area try to visit Alexandria. It's a very nice town on the Potomac Rivier with a lot of photographic possibilities. Also be sure to make time to visit our local artists at the Torpedo factory:

http://www.torpedofactory.org/

Cheers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks John,
    Tim
    Tim- if you're at all a fan of American history, within a reasonable drive of the DC metro area are a number of Civil War battlefields that have been preserved as open spaces. Antietam is in wonderful rolling countryside, and just over the Potomac river is lovely Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Take a bit of time to visit the C&O Canal, which runs along the Potomac on the Maryland side, and go to Great Falls to see the falls, on both Maryland and Virginia sides of the river if you have the chance. Up in Pennsylvania, there is Gettysburg and the surrounding countryside. Over in West Virginia, there is the Dolly Sods wilderness area which looks like an alien landscape more expected in the high California Sierra than on the east coast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin