Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,523   Online: 775

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Chiang Mai Thailand

I am absolutely thrilled to find this site. Photography was a hobby many years ago when I was a teenager. After graduation from high school my interests switched and I no longer pursued the hobby. As an adult I switched careers mid life and became a registered nurse. During that career I used digital photography to document wound healing for the insurance companies and physicians I worked with. I also shot the usual family events in both analog and digital.

When my wife and I opened our small e-commerce business in Chiang Mai recently, Thailand I rediscovered the fun I used to have in my youth with photography. There are so many beautiful places and interesting events here I can never find enough time to take pictures of it all. I am way behind on posting my photos on our websites.

I always carry at least one camera with me even when we go shopping. I discovered when I don't something appears I wish I could photograph. Last year when we were driving in the old section of Chiang Mai a large water moniter lizard was standing in traffic between the two lanes patiently looking both ways so he could cross the street and get into the moat. That day I didn't have a camera. After that I never leave home with my equipment.

I have been shooting mostly digital and video. Last year I purchased some analog equipment that has now begun arriving here. I have a several Minolta 35mm cameras and a few old Konicas that fit our underwater housings. My digital is a Minolta 5D.

I never shot large format in the past but I am anxious to get started. My uncle owned a commercial photography studio and aerial mapping company when I was growing up and I remember seeing ultra large format cameras in his studio mounted on an overhead rail. At the time was only interested in small format and didn't take the time to learn.

To get started in large format I picked a selection of 2x3, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cameras to work with. My Busch Pressman Model D is here now as is the Model C I bought for my wife. The Model C had been retro-fitted with a Graflok back and came with 3 roll holders. I am waiting for a Burke & James 8x10 commercial view and 5x7 Rochester Premo View to arrive. I plan to scan the negatives to use on the websites we are developing.

For view camera lenses I was fortunate enough to pick up almost one of every Turner Reich set except the 5x7. I also picked up a couple of Bausch and Lomb Protar series VII sets that will cover 8x10 and a couple of relatively modern coated process lenses. Hoya has a factory not far from here and I may see if it is possible to have the old lenses coated.

Large format is almost non-existant in Thailand. Where I am located I can only get 4x5 film and that has to be special ordered. Most of my film is will be imported from the US and China. Large format processing is unavailable except in Bangkok so I will getting reacquainted with photo processing. I have a Jobo processor on the way.

It is nice to find this forum where I can find the information I need to expand my knowledge and improve my skills.

www.ChiangMaiPhotos.com
    Last edited by Neal Yerkes; 05-04-2007 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ad url

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome - both to this site and to photography again. There are a lot of us who have come back to photography after a long layoff. Be sure to let us see some of your pictures.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Juan,

I added a link to some of my photos. An interesting coincidence. You are the first to respond and you are from Jacksonville Beach. I was born in Jacksonville and lived there most of my life.

regards,
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome. I have fond memories of a visit to Chiang Mai many years ago.
    Barry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard!

Nice to see others living in Asia on here.

Gary
    Niigata, Japan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sawadee Kap!

I spent 7 months in Lao PDR back in 2004-2005 and loved it, wish I could've gotten to Chiang Mai, another time I guess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Neal, welcome from Hawaii.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome from The Big Apple....

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Neal, Welcome from the beautiful NW and good luck with your B&J 8x10 Commercial, I bought one a couple of months ago and granted, it is not anything like a newer 8x10 but it is a fine old camera.
    One day i hope to visit your part of the world for some great picture taking.

jan

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Neal,

I spent some time in Chiang Mai last Sep and Oct. Boy did I ever go to great lengths to track down film!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin