Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,102   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that's an introduction...

Welcome.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, I am humbled by your perserverance. Suddenly I have no problems. thanks so much for posting your wonderful story and your beautiful prints. Welcome from Oklahoma.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Now this is what I love about APUG. A truly remarkable story. Welcome from the UK.

Regards

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the site David and thank you for sharing this with us, truly inspiring.

Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome David, from the Little North that is Montréal, and I hereby nominate you as the bravest APUG member!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    speachless but a double wow (which is not a word )
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik_Imaje View Post
    Hello ! my name is David I am originally from Boston Ma. I am / was an electrican with an obsession for photography that had consumed me literally. I moved to Alaska.. working as an electrican I was sent to this tiny Eskimo village called Point Hope Alaska. For just 3 weeks, to wire two construction camps. When the job finished, I quit and stayed here.

All this incredibly hard work, no PAY FOR THIS WORK, but just the RIGHT TO EAT !
    A wonderful story and inspiring work. You have my admiration.

Have you ever submitted your work for publication? I would also suggest you start your own photo blog! Great work!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Awe inspiring work and one heck of store!!!

Your work is truly inspiring.

Welcome Aboard!

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thank you all.. so much.. for that amazing set..

of comments, (blushing) !

first to answer some of the questions. I would not ever dare to trust anyone with the processing of this film, Even after this film was processed and images were shown to very important companies in anchorage, I was met with a bunch of thieves, United Bank of Alaska (now bankrupt) stole two albums, British Petrolium (like they have to steal?) they stole 75 images.

Alaska printing company stole a complete set of color seperations I had made, suddenlly when they called me to come pick them up, they dissappeared. Give us another negative, I said bye!

Graphics Art Publishinig Company Portand Orgeon, ripped me off big time, they published a huge white coffee table type book Alaska's Arctic.
    My images start at page 128.

Sommerville Mass. ?? ha ha I have worked in Somerville mass, Many times.

Have I ever considered writing a book, yes sure, but publishers want material, I am not going to trust anyone ever again, not unless I have solid proof of not just another scam. I have been published in many books, magazines, and other type of periodicals, and such.

Back out.. ... to the ocean ice.This is a different world out here, a different planet, a frozen planet of ICE. So much of your world doesn't apply here and so much of our world doesn't apply to where you live. But we have time tested tricks. to keep warm way out here, we do things that you would never think of. We have ways to keep warm you would never or could ever experience either.

18 whaling camps are spaced out 1/2 - 3/4 a mile apart along the lead opening, some families stay together, but all in all, over 600 people are living out here at this very moment in time.

Hunting for food to last until next year.

Why did I use film instead of digital ? well in 1982 there were no digital, now a days, ha ha ha. go ahead, bring that digital rig down to the ocean ice and mount it on a tripod in that wind @ 50 below zero. THAT CAMERA won't last 12 hours, never mind 12 weeks, out in that cold, NO PLACE TO GO to warm it up and if you did, once inside you would not be able to take that camera back outside for many hours due to the sweating of the camera once it gets back inside.
    Out here, all the manufactures hype and advertisements do not mean squat.
    I had to literally chip ice out of the viewfinder every morning once the sun came up to reveal a camera totally encased in ice some 1/16" thick. the controls would work, sluggish and the ice would crack when the focus ring or aperture ring or shutter controls were moved.

Changing film was an excercise in pure torture ! I would scream, when I had to change film, especially on this day. I remembe it well it was 60 below, actual temp, wth winds at 45mph or greater.

See that ice on the other side of the lead opening ? it is moving very quickly from right to left in this image due to the strong north wind. It is very easy to hallucinate out here, do not watch that ice moving.They would alwys break out in great laughter watching me fall over because I was watching that ice too much. This is what happens, as you begin to focus and watch that ice, suddenly, it will STOP and you will begin to "feel" as though your moving in the opposite direction and I fell over, time and time again.

When the wind shifts to south wind, we must evacuate, run like hell, run for your lives, ice is coming and it will run right over everything in its path crushing without mercy anything and everything that is out there. so when that wind shifts, we have less than 20 minutes to scramble, 600 people trying to get off that ice as fast as possible this is what is heading our way

When we evacuate the ice. everything must be taken off that ice. every person must be accounted for, it is very easy to get caught on the wrong side of the ice. when this happens you usually find out, when it is too late. Drifting off to no where, no way to get back. some have survived this and lived to tell strange tales of their rescue.

This has to be a first, delivering free 11 x 14 gorgeous color prints down to the ice to pass out to everyone, no charge !

This is another typical whaling camp, that wind is fierce, but this is home for 8 weeks or longer, and we wait, watch, listen, and hope we have a successful year, last year we caught no whales, no whaling festival, other villages shipped down at great expense shares to feed the village.

The tents in the background are for the women only, and the boyer. The hunters sleep at edge of the ice. NO TENTS !

The children when they play out often mimic their parents. It doesn't matter what the temperature is, these children will stay out and play out for days and days.

Out here on the ice. you experience some bizarre feelings, one side of your face is sweating from the blinding intense sun and the other side is being frost bit.
    Wait,watch,listen. this is the Eskimo way, wait!

Always vigilant, ever watching, for any sign of animal activity. As far as the eye can see and out here that is a lot of distance to cover.

more to come soon!
    Last edited by Majik_Imaje; 05-18-2007 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    that's the most amazing thing I've seen and heard in a long , long time!!!!Welcome to APUG.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin