Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,108   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A late intro

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A late intro

I've been a member here for a few months, but never got around to introducing myself - there's always inspiring photos to look at and interesting threads to follow - I never seemed to get to the bottom of the forums page to the intros.
    I became interested in photography as a teen and took courses. As a young woman I found that toddlers and darkrooms did not mesh very well, and in a time of financial difficulties the darkroom and a 4x5 camera were sold. I always regretted it.
    As my kids entered their teen years I picked photography up again, and have been re-discovering the thrill of creativity. More recently my personal finances have improved - a decent paycheck finally and my chicks have flown. I've been able to indulge myself with cameras - a beat-up old Hasselblad, and 2 4x5's have joined my venerable Nikon FE. I also own a Nikon D50 - but after spending a year trying to learn the pixels and bytes of digital I was missing the darkroom and mucking about with chemicals. I have much more fun when I can slop stuff down my front. The mouse as a primary creative tool is just too tidy for me.
    I have more ideas than I ever seem to get to, but I do have to earn a living to suppport my photography habit. I enjoy the inspiration I get from the APUG site (among others) and appreciate the almost immediate response to queries. My only complaint is that it is such a big and active site that inevitably I'm bound to miss something good.
    Glad to join you all from my perch on the edge of the continent! Sly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from middle England Sly.
    I empathise with your comments on the need to earn a living, it’s does cut into the picture making time to an unreasonable extent.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How does it go... Work is the curse of the drinking class (Monsieur Wilde). Adapted to: Work is the curse of the photographer. Welcome, hope you enjoy it. Incredible numbers of technicians here, reading the technical threads is always an education!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes.. that pesky business of earning a living is a very common problem here. Sucks a lot of time from the darkroom! I was away from the darkroom for about 18 years until around 2003 when I figured out a way to get back. And, yes, finances had improved at that point in my life, which helps!

The work in your gallery is really good... love the fingernail photograph. so a warm welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sly-

Welcome to APUG! Don't be afraid if you miss something- that's what the search feature is for
    I'm working on a solution to the income vs photography thing - it's called "get an MFA and teach photography".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Thunder Bay.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sly
    Welcome to you from Denmark
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Sandy Neck...you'll enjoy it here.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Sly.

From the edge of another continent.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard APUG from just a wee jump up the coast, in Kitimat!

Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin