Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1027

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Feb 24 2003, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> xt......grumble grumble..... ever hear of alienware? </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Isn&#39;t that what that guy in "Independence Day" had to work with to plant the virus in the mother ships computers?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric,
    You mentioned Linux...I have not encountered an actual user of that OS before, I gathered that you like it. How difficult is it to learn, what are the shortcomings, in your experience. What about a suite of programs like the MS Office suite? Thanks for your insights and experience.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sun sells an office suite for Linux (and Solaris and Windows) that is compatable with the MS Office suite. Details at:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffi.../6.0/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Phil,
    Thank you for the information. I will check into that site.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I&#39;m a major fan of linux and have been using it for years. It unleashes the real power of your computer. All those gigs of cpu speed sucked up by the bloated and poorly written windoze software is set free. You can customize it to look like just about anything you want. The desk top can be configured exactly the way you want, not just the few options Bill gives you.

As far as software is concerned there are several fully featured office suites in linux that will integrate with MS documents, spreadsheets etc. Both ways.

Another thing is you don&#39;t have to worry about all the viruses that are targetted at the many vulnerabilities of MS products.

Set yourself free&#33;&#33; Walk towards the Penguin (official mascot of Linux). Also all those fancy special effects you see in the movies these days are done on powerful linux setups.

Several good links are:
    www.redhat.com
    www.linux-mandrake.com/en (this is the one I use)
    www.linux.org

In the past linux was mainly a geek OS, but the new distributions of it are actually easier and faster to install than MS.

If you are a major fan of PS in the linux world the equivalent is called The Gimp and is FREE&#33; Check out www.gimp.org

There that&#39;s a good start.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin