Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,021   Online: 787

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the community!!!!

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus-Richter View Post
    I've heard the Contax G2 is a nice one.
    Not really. It is an autofocus camera with interchangeable lenses, not a true rangefinder camera. WHEN it focuses (which is almost always) it is very good. The rest of the time... Well, you can see why there are three major manual focus systems still in production (Leica, Voigtländer, Zeiss Ikon) and no autofocus. I had a G2 outfit alongside my Leicas for a year.

Mit freundlich Grüßen,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay, I listed all of you to my buddy list, so I can't loose you. PM me anytime you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rangefinders

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    (Leica, Voigtländer, Zeiss Ikon) and no autofocus. I had a G2 outfit alongside my Leicas for a year.

Thank you Roger! Which one of the Leicas would you recommend to a Rangefinder beginner? How about the idea to get a used one?

Markus

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hallo Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Welcome!
    Aus welcher Ecke kommst Du?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From my last trip to your wonderful country (2003):

Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you Roger! Which one of the Leicas would you recommend to a Rangefinder beginner? How about the idea to get a used one?

Markus
    Dear Markus,

I can best quote from a review in (I think) the British Journal of Photography, that if all three current systems were made by the same manufacturer under the same brand, their prices would roughly be the same, and reflect their market position.

Personally, I would recommend (a) the most expensive you can begin to afford and (b) new over used UNLESS you can find a recent (M6 or later) used Leica, or at the least, a used Bessa or ZI from a dealer willing to give a guarantee: many, but not all, defects are the result of user carelessness, so I would hesitate to buy from eBay. But if you don't mind having no meter, any M-serie is likely to prove an excellent camera though it may need a strip, clean and overhaul (CLA in American) if it is old and dried-up. I have 2x M2, which were backups to my M4-P until I got the MP. Bear in mind that the M3 has only 5cm, 9cm and 13,5cm finders, while the M2 has 3,5cm, 5cm and 9cm: if you like 35mm (which is my standard lens) then the simpler, cruder M2 is the easy winner. The M6ttl, M7 and M8 have 'backwards' (contra-rotating) speed dials as compared with all other Leicas. The MP is my favourite.

I have had R, T, R2, R2S and M4-P, MP, M8 (all right, irrelevant) from new and have had no trouble with any of them except the R2 where a fall damaged the rewind crank (easily repaired). That and the black chrome finish on the M4-P which wore so badly that a Leica dealer friend suggested that it should be repaired under warranty, 25 years ago. Now, the M4-P needs cleaning -- the frame selector is sticky, as it is on one of my M2s, almost twice its age -- but it is still more than usable.

Check 'books' on my web-site for the book my wife and I did a few years back on rangefinder cameras.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 09-19-2007 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    From my last trip to your wonderful country (2003):

]
    That is a wonderful picure Robert, thank you for sharing it. Where is it?

I'm sure Hawaii must be wonderful too. I've been in many US States, but unfortunately I've never been in Hawaii.

To your first post. I'm from Karlsruhe. To make a crosspoint, I'm around an hour away in the west from Stuttgart and one hour in south from Frankfurt and one hour away in the east of Ramstein.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is a wonderful picure Robert, thank you for sharing it. Where is it?
    Wertheim am Main, along the Tauber River.

I'm familiar with Karlsruhe, but I don't ever remember visiting it. Perhaps, on the next trip.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Check 'books' on my web-site for the book my wife and I did a few years back on rangefinder cameras.

Hope this helps
    Oh yes it helps, thank you Roger! I will check your books on your website.

I fell in love with this one, but the price (!)
    It would cost me one arm and one leg! http://shphoto.de/cgi-bin/shphotod.p...915&t=temartic

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin