Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,736   Online: 873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kiwi in Las Vegas

Kia ora. I came to LV, from New Zealand, to get married (by Elvis) 6 months ago and have remained. I dabbled in film for some 40 years but went digital 2 years ago. I have mixed feelings about that; seems to me editing is more labour intensive than darkroom work. Last week my wife bought me a Pentax 645 so I have decided to get into b/w printing again. I'm also building a guiding platform so I can indulge my primary interest - astrophotography. I'm sure the Northern Hemisphere skies have plenty to offer me. Now if someone could turn off all those lights. Cheers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aloha and welcome from Hawaii. Personally, I prefer NZ over LV - but, to each his own.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome!

Las Vegas is my favorite place to vacation. Endless photo opportunities there.

I'm not really a stargazer, but I do know that groups go up into the mountains between Las Vegas and Pahrump and they do get away from the glow of the city.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome! Astrophotography anywhere near LV must be tough! But you do have some great rocks out east of you! On my trips to NZ, seeing the Southern Cross and all the "new" stars was always good.

Vaughn

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Pixelsaurus and WTG!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from NYC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome!! from western Massachusetts. The desert at night has some pretty amazing stars.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The desert at night has some pretty amazing stars.
    I agree. I lived in Vegas 1978-79 and I remember driving a few miles out of the city, lying on the hood of my car and watching the stars. After a while I saw an object passing overhead, obviously a satellite of some sort. It was larger than a star, and it's light pulsated slowly. I was confused for a moment, then I realized that what I was seeing was Skylab! The pulsating was caused by it's rotation and it's white and black panels. This wasn't too long before it reentered the atmosphere and burned up. Well, mostly anyway.

Ahh, memories...

Russ
    R.L. Sisco
    MSgt, USAF, Retired

Do you have an
    Electro 35 or other
    Yashica that you
    would like Refurbished?
    Check out:
    www.camerarefurb.com

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b1bmsgt View Post
    I agree. I lived in Vegas 1978-79 and I remember driving a few miles out of the city, lying on the hood of my car and watching the stars. After a while I saw an object passing overhead, obviously a satellite of some sort. It was larger than a star, and it's light pulsated slowly. I was confused for a moment, then I realized that what I was seeing was Skylab! The pulsating was caused by it's rotation and it's white and black panels. This wasn't too long before it reentered the atmosphere and burned up. Well, mostly anyway.

Ahh, memories...

Russ
    Nowadays, you'd have to drive far further than a few miles to get to dark skies anywhere near Vegas.

Getting to be that way in Tucson too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to apug. There are nice people here, enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin