Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,769   Online: 883

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bugged in the Bay Area

Greetings from Richmond, California. The other Bay Area city, a city not unknown to the 20th century West Coast Masters.

• My 1st Camera: A Folgers Coffee can, pinhole camera (ca. 1973).

• Wannabe like: AA (technique), Callahan and Cartier-Bresson (vision), Michael Kenna (style).

• Experience: '80s - Kodachromes to Cibachromes. Published in the late '80s, shown (gallery) in the early '90s. Digitals published recently in Company brochures.

• Why analogue: I was recently schooled by 20-somethings that film was not dead….and dammit they're right!

• Day Job: Engineering (that's why I can only write in bullets--I'm dangerous with PowerPoint).

Analogue Anecdote: In 1998 I was viewing a large Koichiro Kurita silver print. The image at first glance was rather banal, a calm marsh but the water was smooth as glass. I was perusing the print at a distance of about 5-feet, before moving on to the next something caught my eye, I thought I spotted a flaw in the print, a tiny speck on the water. I got in close, 10-inches or so to inspect the flaw. Well I'll be...that speck was a water bug perched on the water tension. I saw each leg finely etched, under the legs I saw the water deform under the weight of the water bug. I then changed my glance to the marsh grasses whose tips converged to infinitely sharp points. In awe I spent the next 20 minutes inspecting every detailed inch of that print. This simple picture enthralled me.

Kurita-san is why I’m here, that water bug has been taunting (haunting) me to learn the fine art and craft of Black and White photography. So I’m taking the plunge, getting back in the saddle. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this fine community, but frankly at the moment I am a bit intimidated and quite humbled by the talent, knowledge and experience assembled on this forum. Sean, you’ve done a great job.

Happy Holidays,
    Terry

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG, Terry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks J. Too much coffee? or just getting off the swing shift?

I need to get back to the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument with some serious gear. A great place to explore.

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Terry, welcome to APUG. And don't feel too intimidated, everyone is happy to share their experience here
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Terry!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Washington DC. As a former Emeryvillian, (Emery-villain?), a second welcome to another east-bay'er.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome! from a county to the north of you.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terry - Welcome from western Massachusetts!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That makes (at least) two of us in Richmond. And the Bay Area seems to have a significant chunk of the APUG membership...
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from NYC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin